We are making some progress on breakfast food options, so now it’s time to work on school food options.
It would be so much easier if the girls just ate sandwiches… but no, that would be way too easy, normal and kid-like wouldn’t it!?! The thought of something squished between two slices of bread is just not their idea of lunch food. They’d prefer a bowl of noodles, or a mixed salad plate, or sushi…. all of which are going to take some effort from me to make lunch box ready.
To add to the no sandwich thing, I’m also trying to keep the amount of shop bought, pre-made, snack foods to a minimum. Both for budgetary reasons and to try and keep the additives and crap out of our lives as much as possible. So here is a list of lunch box options the girls and I have come up with….
* Tuna, lettuce and mayo flat bread wraps – their favourite easily portable lunch.
* Biscuits and dip – I’m going to try this recipe for home made savoury biscuits
* Grissini/Mini bread sticks with dip – have found a recipe to make these, I’ll blog if it works out.
* Muesli bars – I am determined to make our own but so far am not having much success.
* Pasta Salad
* Pop Corn – hoping our home grown pop corn plants will eventually produce but if not it’s cheap and easy to buy.
* Mini Salads – they’ll eat a variety of salad foods which is great for summer.
* Home made pizza rolls – hoping I can alter my foccacia bread recipe to make our own
* Cookies – will use the 100′s of biscuits recipe so I always have some in the freezer for emergencies, but will also make others.
* Muffins/cup cakes
* fruit fruit and more fruit – might try these frozen fruit cups for a bit of a treat
* Pita chips – using the leftover pita bread, it’s never any good fresh after a day or two.
So what are you putting in your kid’s lunch boxes?
Can anyone out there give me some more suggestions?
Point me towards some good recipes? books? websites?
Commiserate over children who don’t eat sandwiches?