Block Play is Important Work

June 7, 2011

block play

Block building is important work around here at the moment.

While he is busy creating ‘The Wizardly World of Wizaldo the Wizard’ he is also learning maths skills such as number, shape, weight, volume, grouping and sorting.

block play

He’s experimenting with concepts like balance and gravity. He’s learning and using new language.

block play

He’s practising spatial awareness skills, eye hand co-ordination and refining both small and large muscle movements.

block play

His imagination is blossoming. He’s making a representation of his ideas. He’s planning, creating and problem solving.

block play

And when ‘Godzilla’ is released he is also learning about cause and effect and to cope with set backs.

So you see… block play is very important work.

playopediaIf you are looking for more great play ideas you need to check out Childhood101′s brand new resource Playopedia! I’m very excited to finally see this great resource up and running, I’m excited to have helped put it together and really excited to have some of my play ideas featured!
Find out more about it here.

Joining in with the It’s Playtime link up – this week at the Imagination Tree.

{ 9 comments }

Karyn @kloppenmum June 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Great post. Wish more people understood how much real learning goes on when children are just mucking about.

Glowless June 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

We’re major block fans in this house – especially the wooden ones!

Rebecca June 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Wooden Blocks are very popular & an integral part of our Playcentre. Our kids love to build the most amazing creations. Some are teeny tiny & others are for the kids to be inside.. We like to play with blocks at home too.

It’s great to use the wooden blocks too as they have a nice warmth to them.

Anna @ The Imagination Tree June 11, 2011 at 2:45 am

I love this post! And I am really, really envious of your blocks! Totally agree about the essential benefits in very simple, everyday, repetitive types of play- so important for development!

Louise Allana September 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm

These are amazing blocks. Did you buy them or make them?

katef September 23, 2011 at 2:53 pm

They are a combination of bought and made blocks. The castle blocks I made when I was teaching preschool from off cuts from a building site. They are just left over pine 2×4′s mostly. The little wooden blocks were a gift and the yellow ‘flamed’ shaped arch in these pictures is part of a set of ‘fire’ arches that fit inside each other which we got from entrophy.com.au
Hope that helps!

Louise Allana September 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Thanks for letting me know :)

Kate - An Everyday Story July 13, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Love it Kate :) And I think I just decided what I would buy with my first pay cheque…Jack will LOVE those fire arches

katepickle July 14, 2013 at 5:19 pm

We got the set of fire arches as well as a rainbow set and a water set from entropy about 5 years ago and everyone has played with them and loved them. They are one of the best toy’s we’ve ever bought and really not that expensive… though I dream of getting some of the really big sets!

Comments on this entry are closed.