What To Do With a Big Box? – Make a Town

January 19, 2012

what to do with a big box

A recent delivery came in a big box! The was much excitement as the big kids and I surveyed the long, but shallow box and pondered what we could do with it. It wasn’t big enough for a cubby, and it was too big to make into a car. Then I had an idea…

I got out the markers and drew some roads on the bottom of the box, then left the kids to decide what to do next.

what to do with a big box

A little while later there were many more roads, a beach, some paddocks for the horses, Hargid’s house, a droid workshop and somewhere for the Ewoks to sleep.

what to do with a big box

The big box had become a whole town. More drawings have been added since then and the legos have been built and rebuilt, arranged and rearranged…

Box Town

Not only has it keep the kids engaged for hours and hours, it’s also contained all those tiny bits of lego. No more standing on a droid head and trying not to swear!

what to do with a big box

Stay tuned for more things we’ve been doing with the big box!

Katie January 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm

That’s fantastic! It reminded me of playing with big lego on a bumpy bit of carpet that wouldn’t sit flat. You couldn’t use the carpet as carpet, but it was perfect as rolling fields and farms!

Karen K January 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm

What a fantastic idea. Now to order something big….or perhaps get in touch with a local business who would chuck them out! What a fantastic blog you have! Can’t wait to read through it all!

Alissa January 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Ooo… Love it! Thanks for the idea. My hubby just got a new bike – came in a big box, and I was wondering what to do with it!

Jode January 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

What fun and such creativity…bet you gets weeks of fun from that one!

Anna @ the shady pine January 19, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Ah the stuff of childhood dreams!

Mandy January 19, 2012 at 7:14 pm

We have a mat with roads on it that I’ve put away because it was never used, because, it’s just there, all the time.
I love this concept because it’s exciting and inspiring on the day. Look forward to your other ideas.

Yannis Vatis January 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

That’s really really cool! It could also be used to teach kids English words for directions, buildings, animals…quite a few possibilities really. Have them make it then play with it while learning. Play/project-based learning at its finest. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon @ DiscoverExploreLearn January 20, 2012 at 12:00 am

Oh, the joys of children playing with boxes…love it !

We recently ordered a new set of bunk beds for my boys. When it arrived in a HUGE box, I think my kiddos were more excited about the possibilities the box presented to them, than they were about their new beds.

They ended up making a tent and a “dog house”, among other things. After a full day of exploring their imaginative play with the box, they brought out pillows and blankets and slept in it.

Never underestimate the fun anf learning that an empty cardboard box can provide for children :-)

Jill @ a mom with a lesson plan January 20, 2012 at 2:22 am

What a great idea! I love how colorful the town is!

Marita January 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great idea :) I’m all in favour of lego containment.

katef January 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

You know it has been the BEST for lego containment! It’s making me really contemplate the idea of one of those under the bed lego tables with little sides….

Marita January 22, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I contemplated doing that with the trundle under Heidi’s bed but she did not like that idea.

Melissa Taylor (@ImaginationSoup) January 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm

oh, what fun! Now to get a big box . . .

maryanne @ mama smiles January 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm

This is fantastic!!! Pinned it to my cardboard board at pinterest =)

mermaid January 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Wow!
Wonderful!

MultipleMummy January 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I think that is the biggest box I have ever seem and what a great way to create imagination! I love that they can build their town up!

Thank you for linking to Family Frolics- please do come back!

Susan Case February 2, 2012 at 1:33 am

I love your blog! I pinned this post – wonderful example of Imaginative Play. I hope you’ll visit my blog sometime: Kindergarten for Teachers and Parents.

JDaniel4's Mom March 12, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I love this idea! Everything stays in the box! It looks like so much fun!

Melissa@Julia's Bookbag May 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm