What To Do With a Big Box? – Make a Town

A recent delivery came in a big box! The was much excitement as the big kids and I surveyed the long, but shallow box and pondered what we could do with it. It wasn’t big enough for a cubby, and it was too big to make into a car. Then I had an idea…

I got out the markers and drew some roads on the bottom of the box, then left the kids to decide what to do next.

what to do with a big box

A little while later there were many more roads, a beach, some paddocks for the horses, Hargid’s house, a droid workshop and somewhere for the Ewoks to sleep.

what to do with a big box

The big box had become a whole town. More drawings have been added since then and the legos have been built and rebuilt, arranged and rearranged…

Box Town

Not only has it keep the kids engaged for hours and hours, it’s also contained all those tiny bits of lego. No more standing on a droid head and trying not to swear!

what to do with a big box

Stay tuned for more things we’ve been doing with the big box!

That’s fantastic! It reminded me of playing with big lego on a bumpy bit of carpet that wouldn’t sit flat. You couldn’t use the carpet as carpet, but it was perfect as rolling fields and farms!

What a fantastic idea. Now to order something big….or perhaps get in touch with a local business who would chuck them out! What a fantastic blog you have! Can’t wait to read through it all!

3. Alissa says

Ooo… Love it! Thanks for the idea. My hubby just got a new bike – came in a big box, and I was wondering what to do with it!

We have a mat with roads on it that I’ve put away because it was never used, because, it’s just there, all the time.
    I love this concept because it’s exciting and inspiring on the day. Look forward to your other ideas.

That’s really really cool! It could also be used to teach kids English words for directions, buildings, animals…quite a few possibilities really. Have them make it then play with it while learning. Play/project-based learning at its finest. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, the joys of children playing with boxes…love it !

We recently ordered a new set of bunk beds for my boys. When it arrived in a HUGE box, I think my kiddos were more excited about the possibilities the box presented to them, than they were about their new beds.

They ended up making a tent and a “dog house”, among other things. After a full day of exploring their imaginative play with the box, they brought out pillows and blankets and slept in it.

Never underestimate the fun anf learning that an empty cardboard box can provide for children :-)

• katef says

You know it has been the BEST for lego containment! It’s making me really contemplate the idea of one of those under the bed lego tables with little sides….

I think that is the biggest box I have ever seem and what a great way to create imagination! I love that they can build their town up!

Thank you for linking to Family Frolics- please do come back!

I love your blog! I pinned this post – wonderful example of Imaginative Play. I hope you’ll visit my blog sometime: Kindergarten for Teachers and Parents.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Well, well! The children and I spent a glorious afternoon creating this cardboard box city.  It cost me all of…nothing, was mess free and is still going strong!  There are many inspirational ideas like this around the web, like this one from Picklebums. [...]