Simple Christmas Threading.

November 19, 2013

Simple Christmas Threading - quick easy and cheap!

So now that the big birthday party is over and done with, now I can start thinking about Christmas…

Arrrghhh!!!

Christmas is only five weeks away! I have so much to organise!

And of course, because I have so much to do, today I procrastinated. Instead of working through my to-do list, Noah and I did a quick and easy Christmassy craft to get us in the mood.

All you need for this simple Christmas threading activity is some patty pans (you might call them cupcake liners?), some straws and some string.

We use that plastic string you can get at craft stores as it is stiff enough to make it easy to use without a needle.

Simple Christmas Threading - quick easy and cheap!

To make the patty pan stars just fold a stack of patty pans in half (I did about four at a time) and cut trianges out of the curved edge. Then unfold, punch a hole in the middle and they are ready to thread.

Simple Christmas Threading for when you need a quick and easy Christmas activity.

I cut the straws into short lengths to make them easy to thread – too long and it is trickier to get your string through them and out the other end. I tied a piece of straw to the end of the string and that was it… Noah was ready to thread.

Simple Christmas Threading - quick easy and cheap!

Lots of fine motor skill practice and just a nice, simple activity to get us in the mood for Christmas!

Simple Christmas Threading - quick easy and cheap!

Are in full on Christmas mode already? Or are you just getting warmed up like me?

h. November 20, 2013 at 12:35 am

Nice and simple. Kubi just started enjoying threading so its a good one for us too. Right inspiration at the right time. Thank you for posting.

Kate November 20, 2013 at 12:46 pm

What a simple and very beautiful Christmas decoration. Love it! It’s so lovely when children can make such decorations themselves and it doubles to develop important skills like the ones you mentioned. Great work Kate.
P.S I’m only warming up to Christmas. LOL

Veens November 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Aarya hates threading :( I have tried a lot of times :(
The end-product looks gorgeous :)

katepickle November 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

oh well…. I guess you can’t like everything! LOL I am sure there is something else that Aarya loves to do :)

Christie - Childhood 101 November 25, 2013 at 12:33 am

What a great idea, Kate. You are all sorts of clever :) Good luck with the Christmas preparations!

Jode@mummymusingsandmayhem November 26, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Just love these colours and a great idea to make threading a little special!

Cassi December 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I always love a good cupcake liner/patty pan craft and that the kids can do this on their own. I’ll be sharing soon!

Stella December 21, 2013 at 2:56 am

I very much enjoy your website. I have stringed popcorn, lifesavers and now I will string cup cake holders. I place scotch tape on the ends of the yarn, or string so the young children don’t have to use a needle. It works just fine