People Play Dough Mats – Free Printable!

People Play Dough Mats - Free Printable !

Inspired by Creative Play Central’s cool play dough pictures and a fashion model colouring/drawing book my girls got for Christmas, I decided to make some very simple play dough mats this afternoon.

I thought Noah might have fun making faces and people, but I had no idea how much fun the rest of us would have too!

It started out with just Noah at the table using the coloured dough to make facial features and clothes and hair, but before long Morgan joined in and then the girls and eventually we were all creating, even me!

People Play Dough Mats - Free Printable !

Morgan started out making someone who looked ‘just like me, choosing the palest skin tone (he is very fair!) and double checking that his eyes were in fact blue. The girls got carried away designing clothes and shoes and elaborate accessories, and Noah made monsters… which is his subject of choice at the moment.

It was so much fun to choose a body or a face and then get crazy with dough and accessories, and the activity sparked lots of conversation and learning about body parts, clothes and how everyone looks different.

We used modelling clay (plasticine) because we happened to have some and the colours are so bright and fun, but it would be just as great with shop bought or homemade play dough.

People Play Dough Mats - Free Printable !

I added a few accessories like beads, sequins, googley eyes, cut up pipe cleaners and gems, just for fun!

You can download the people play dough mats here.

People Play Dough Mats - Free Printable !

And the faces play dough mats here.

People Play Dough Mats - Free Printable !

They come in four skin tones and all you need to do is print them and laminate (or use self adhesive book covering) and you are ready to create!

People Play Dough Mats - Free Printable !

We’d love to see what you create with these play dough mats. Feel free to upload a photo or two and share them on my facebook page!

Make sure you check out our other free printable play dough mats!

free printable play dough mats - fun food
You can find the fun food play dough mats here

free printable play dough mats - gardening and growing

You can find the gardening and growing play dough mats here.

If your kids love play dough as much as mine, then check out the Homemade Play Dough Recipe book (affiliate link – I get a percentage of sales if you buy via this link). It’s full of fabulous, doable, home made play dough recipes and ideas.

Nurture Store - Homemade Play Dough Recipes and Activities

1. Tracey says

These are brilliant. My son just opened a new container of play clay yesterday. Do you know the book my Robert Munsch about play clay?

2. Emma says

Hi Kate,
    I can’t open the printable play dough mat faces. I was able to do the people but not faces. Any clues? It’s a great idea!
    Cheers
    Emma

• katepickle says

Sorry you are having trouble with the faces Emma…

Do you get a specific error message when you try to open the file?
      Did you try downloading them again… perhaps they were corrupted on the way down?

Kate, thank you so much for including us in your post! I love your colourful and gorgeous creations. As you know we are huge fans of play dough dress ups too – they’re always lots of fun to create. Play dough plaits must be the flavour of the month, my daughter has been including them in her play dough and craft creations too :)

4. Janine says

Love, love, love these. Thank you for sharing, I cannot wait to use these with my kindy and pre-primary students :)

• katepickle says

It must just be the heavy load on my server… perhaps try again now that the demand is a bit less? If you still have problems let me know.

5. Monika says

Thank you, lovely Lady, for sharing this brilliant resource! What an awesome activity and such a helpful tool for the little ones. So many avenues to explore and engage them! :)

I love these, Kate! It’s awesome that you included a number of different shades! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome printables. I featured your post as the Free Printable of the Day at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and on Pinterest. :)

7. Stacey says

Thank you! I am going to add these to my son’s human body unit. I think I might give him white fuzzy wires or dough for the bones and colored dough for the organs.

8. Jacqueline says

Thank you so much! These are so great! My 4 kids have been creating all morning! Sharing, laughing, not arguing! This mom is happy!

9. Naomi Askew says

Thanks so much for this great printable (and your other brilliant printables which I found via Pinterest and have used a lot too, I’m really grateful for you sharing your skills!). I used this for my kids and their friends for a playdate this week and it was a big success! Thanks again!

10. Christina says

These are great except for the full size people mats are not printing well. The page is a normal 8.5″x11″ and I tried reducing the printing size even but it still is cutting off the feet. Any suggestions?

• katepickle says

You need to set your printing options to ‘fit’ or ‘shrink to fit’. We use A4 sized paper here in Australia which is a tiny bit different in size, but if you choose shrink to fit it will shrink everything ever so slightly so they fit on a US ‘letter’ sized page.

11. oumasma says

Hello!!!!
    Sorry for my english, i’m french!
    I love this!!!

Merci pour le partage et bonne continuation!!!
    Vos idées sont très bonnes et très utiles pour nos enfants!
    Great ideas!