As his tantrum subsided into just plain old sobbing he managed to tell me he was hungry. That might go some way to explain his meltdown over what seemed like nothing, so I jumped at the chance to fill his belly and redirect him into something more calming.
“Do you want to make yourself some fruit salad? You can do the cutting and make a bowl just for you!”
“Ok” he snuffled…
I dried his tears and set everything up while he went to wash his hands and get an apron. I got out a knife, chopping board, and a bowl and cut the selected fruit into smaller pieces. He dragged over the step stool and began happily chopping fruit and popping it in the bowl. Smiling I wandered away to fold some washing (and snap a photo or two).
Why Cook with Kids?
Cooking is almost like magic around here. Cooking seems to smooth tensions and wipe away tears, and I try to remember that when I’m feel like saying no to a request to cook something. If I need a reason to cook with my kids I can revisit my 16 Reasons to Cook With Kids and probably add a few more reasons for good measure.
All my kids love to help me cook and as they get older they adore being able to make simple things, like fruit salad, all on their own. Taking responsibility for making food for themselves or others is so empowering.
Tips for Cooking with Kids
Over the years I’ve discovered a few tips and tricks to make cooking with kids run smoothly.
- A bowl with a handle to hold on to makes mixing things much easier for small hands.
- A butter knife or serrated plastic knife (even a disposable one) will cut lots of things but won’t cut little fingers.
- Washing hands and wearing an apron is important, so is tying up long hair so it doesn’t hang in the cake mix!
- Kids are going to want to taste things along the way, if you don’t want fingers in the cake mix, be prepared with some spoons for testing.
- Helping to cook dinner when you are in a hurry won’t end well, get them to help on a night when you are not so rushed.
- For little people a good, stable, step to stand on so they are at the right height is essential
- It’s going to be messy, accept that and prepare for it. Get the kids to help clean up, my kids love to wash dishes.
Things to Cook with Kids
From super simple to making dinner on their own… here are some things my kids like to cook.
What do you like to cook with your kids??
Feel free to leave a link to a great kid friendly recipe in the comments.
For more cooking with kids ideas check out all my family friendly recipes here.