We started renovating this house nearly 7 years ago, and we are still not finished. Yep, that’s seven years of living with renovations. It seems crazy when I think about it, but we made the decision to do most of the renovations ourselves, and we also made the decision not to sacrifice every second of our lives to get it done, and that means, seven years later we are still chipping away at this huge project.
Lately we’ve been working on getting all the painting done. We are finally getting round to painting all the architraves in the family room and we finally added a mantle shelf and fireplace surround. Now I have all these big, empty, finished walls that are finally ready to have something hung on them… but what?
We have collected a few pieces of art here and there over the years, and have a couple of family photos, but no where near enough to fill all my lovely white walls, and art can be expensive. So I’ve been looking for some options that are fun and funky, and won’t break the bank.
20 Things to Hang on Your Walls
Free Printable Art
Thanks to the magic of the internet and a whole lot of talented and generous people, you can download and print a heap of cool art to hang on your walls. These are a few of my favourite free printable art ideas.
1. Watercolour cactus print from Bruna Masalin Creative.
2. Map of the moon poster from Mr Printables.
3. Colourful abstract prints from Corinne Melanie
4. Adventure print from I Rock So What.
5. Watercolour ampersand by Dawn Nicole Designs
6. Watercolour and ink peafowl by Evie S
7. Watercolour succulents from Burlap and Blue
8. Be You printable poster from me :)
9. Wonderful art print from Hello Wonderful.
DIY Art Ideas
Even if you are not ‘arty’ there are lots of easy and cool DIY art ideas you can try. I’m thinking of trying my hand at a big abstract acrylic canvas for over our fireplace!
10. This fire ink art looks cool and there are art skills required – from Always Autumn.
11. These floating chalk prints are so easy the kids can make them and they’d look awesome framed.
12. You just need a steady hand to make this cut out foam art from A Beautiful Mess.
13. Have a go at abstract painting with acrylics like this one from Fall from DIY
14. Here’s another abstract painting technique I want try from Swoonworthy.
15. Or simply hang some cool fabric, it couldn’t easier – from Natalie’s House
Low Cost Art Ideas
If you’ve got a spend money to spend you’ll be amazed at the awesome prints and printables you can buy online. These are just some of the artwork I have my eye on on Etsy.
The links below are Esty affiliate links – if you buy something I get a small commission at no extra cost to you.
16. We have a bit of a thing for llamas in our family and I love this Dotty Llama print from Megan Dodds.
17. I love these hand painted letters by World of Mik . You could order a set for your whole family.
18. I love that you can find art on Etsy to match whatever you are into. We love Studio Ghibli and I want this Totoro print from Ciaran Monaghan
19. Life is but a dream – I love this quote art from Sara Blue Creative
And a bonus one just because I love them so much…
21. One day I’d love to own a painting by Amira Rahim.
Have you got a house full of bare walls too?
Or perhaps you have walls full of glorious art work and photos?
I’d love you to share your inspiration – tag me (@picklebums) in a photo on instagram if you have one! Or share your ideas for filling up bare walls without breaking the bank!