I’m currently ‘cooking under plastic’ or that should be ‘trying to cook under plastic’. The current state of our renovations means that our kitchen has only one wall and no roof. The current state of the weather means that the tarpaulin that is supposed to be saving the kitchen from the elements is slowly being shredded in the the gale forced winds…. Needless to say this is making life fun!
If you ever find your self in a similar position, here are my top ten survival tips for renovation cooking...
- Pretend you are an Antarctic explorer and see if you can unwrap 3 muesli bars before you get frost bite.
- Tell the kids that the black dust sprinkled all over their lunch is really five secret herbs and spices, just like KFC
- Look for the positives – the deafening sounds of the tarp in the wind drowns out the kids fighting and arguing completely.
- Remember, a jam sandwich with olives and potato chips on the side is almost a complete meal, it contains fruit and two kinds of veggies!
- Feel free to stab anyone who tells you that you are ‘brave’ or ‘insane’.
- Practice the ancient art of astral projections and work on sending yourself 6 months into the future when the renovations are all done!
- If that fails practice the even more ancient art of denial and just pretend it’s not happening.
- Put the phone number of the closest fish and chip shop into your mobile phone, and get over your aversion to the Empire of the Evil Clown and other similar establishments.
- Remember, just because it’s cereal doesn’t mean it’s breakfast!
- If you don’t laugh you’ll cry… so laugh it up people!
Have you got any tips for me? Serious or otherwise!?!