You know how easy it is to make a cake from a shop bought packet mix? Well it’s just as easy to make your own homemade mixes, and you can tailor them to your needs, plus they don’t contain a long list of processed ingredients. One of our favourites is easy homemade muffin mix.
We use this homemade muffin mix all the time. It’s really easy to make, and even easier to use. So easy in fact, that I get my kids to make muffins using the homemade muffin mix almost every week.
It takes around five minutes to get a batch of muffins in the oven, and there is a lot less mess to deal with too.
You can vary the type of flour you use in the muffin mix. We use half plain white flour, and half wholemeal or oat flour (just whip up a bunch of oats in the food processor to make oat flour). If you use oat flour or more than half wholemeal flour you may need to up the amount of liquid, depending on what other ingredients you add.
Homemade Muffin Mix
Here is the homemade muffin mix recipe and instructions to make basic muffins from the mix:
- 6 cups of plain flour
- 2 cups of wholemeal flour
- 3 cups of sugar
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- In a very large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk/combine well.
- Store the muffin mix in a sealed container.
- This quantity of mix is enough to make approximately four batches of muffins.
- 2 ¾ cups of dry mix
- 1 cup of milk
- ¼ cup of oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius and grease or line a muffin pan.
- Put 2 ¾ cups of the dry mix into a bowl, make a well in the centre of the dry mix and add the oil and eggs, mixing them well.
- Slowly combine the wet ingredients with the dry, adding the milk a little at a time as you go.
- Add any extra ingredients to flavour your muffins – choc chips, fruit, sultanas, cinnamon, etc, and stir through well.
- Cook the muffins for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown on top and skewer comes out clean.
You can make a basic muffin base from the mix and add things in, or you can vary the ingredients you add to make the muffins.
Try juice instead of milk, or switch the coconut oil for any other vegetable oil or melted butter.
10 Delicious Muffin Mix Recipes.
Here are 10 muffin recipes that all use the homemade muffin mix as a base and add in lots of other flavours and ingredients to make delicious muffins.
What’s your favourite muffin flavour or recipe?