The kids and I hit the shops the other day. Hopefully it was the one and only time we have to go near the big shopping centre until well after Christmas. It was a long but very successful day, we managed to get most of the things we needed to take on holidays as well as spend some birthday money and vouchers.
Here are some random musings about shopping with three small children…
– $60 worth of birthday money ($30 each) can buy a heck of a lot of My Little Ponies and associated stuff! (Thankfully they chose to save the other $20 they both had to spend at the museum)
– Two five year olds can talk excitedly about ponies non-stop for approximately 3 hours until they fall asleep in the car on the way home and you finally get a break from having to nod and murmur with fake enthusiasm over small horse shaped bits of plastic.
– Those Shopping Mall designers are evil buggers… once you are in there you really have no idea what the outside world is like. By the time we were done I had no idea if it was still hot outside, or even if it was day or night.
– When you are five it is really REALLY hard to choose from a whole shop full of books.
– When you are one it is even harder to not tear every page from every book in said shop.
– Sushi rolls make any shopping trip worthwhile for all.
– Half a choc-dipped, choc-filled chrio do-nut thing is enough to make you feel very very unwell.
– Trying on clothes with small children in tow is either a wonderful ego boost or enough to make you never want to get out of bed. I heard the full range of comments from; “Mamma you look just like a princess” (as I tried on a pair of shorts… that is some practically dressed princess!) to “Mamma your boobies are too fat for that shirt”. Gee thanks.
– Either I have gotten old and very uncool or clothes designers are all on drugs. One shop that I usually really like, I walked straight past after looking at the display window and seeing clothes my Nanna used to wear. I kid you not.. horrible, bright, gaudy, floral patterns in satiny fabrics, made into kaftans and drop waisted pleated skirts. Who looks good in that stuff?
– Children are no help when you are trying to decide between a pink, green or blue fleece jacket. (in case you are curious I ended up with pink but still not sure I made the right decision)
Ah shopping is fun…. not! To think that I used to go to that place at least once a week when we lived near by!!!