Pizza Pockets – Cheap and Easy Family Recipe.

May 9, 2011

Pizza Pocket Recipe

Saturday night on the new menu plan is ‘comfort food’ night – which really translates into something cheap and easy that everyone likes, or Pizza Night!

The one draw back to making pizzas is that I only have a small oven and to make enough pizzas for everyone I have to cook them in two batches and it takes forever. So instead of traditional flat pizzas we often have ‘Pizza Pockets’, or Calzone if you want to get fancy!

pocket pizza recipe

Using our go to pizza dough recipe, which is actually called foccacia in the book, (recipe below) I use the bread machine to do all the hard work of mixing, kneading and rising the dough. Then it’s just a matter of rolling out circles of dough, coving one half in pizza sauce, toppings and sprinkle of cheese and then folding it over to form a semi circle.

pocket pizza recipe

Push down and fold over the edges well to make sure nothing oozes out while cooking and pop them in a hot hot (220 C) oven for 10-12 minutes or until they start to go brown.

As you can see I add a letter to top of each pocket so I know which one belongs to which person, because all hell would break loose if there happened to be onion from my pocket in one of the girl’s… and, I confess, I wouldn’t be real impressed to get one with pineapple in it either!

These are so easy to make, use less toppings and a lot less cheese than regular pizza so they work out even cheaper and most importantly everyone eats them, without complaining, until they find out there isn’t any more!

Pizza Dough/ Foccacia Dough Recipe.

250ml of warm water
2 teaspoons of yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
3 tables spoons of olive oil
500grams of flour (bread flour works best, or add bread improver)
a pinch of salt.

Add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and set it aside for a few minutes until the yeast starts to bubble and froth. Combine the flour and salt in the bread machine bowl (or a mixing bowl if you are mixing and kneading by hand). Add the olive oil to the yeast mixture and mix gently then pour into the flour. Set your bread machine to dough and let it mix everything together – check at this point to see if you need to add a little more water, then let it knead and rise your dough. If mixing by hand, mix well, adding more water if needed, then knead on a floured surface for five minutes, pop into a greased bowl, cover with glad wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.

What is your ‘go to’ cheap and easy meal?

Katy May 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Reckon these would work for school lunches too? Was up for something new and these might be the ticket!

katef May 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm

they work great in school lunches, I make little ones for my girls to take to school the next day.

Meeks May 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Yay! Love this idea! Totally forgot that you could do this with pizza bases!

My ‘go to’ recipe (when I lose track of time and realise that dinner needs to be served asap!)…is Spaghetti!

Get the water boiling for the spaghetti.
Defrost 500g mince, add onion & garlic. Chuck in a can of tomato soup and a couple of bay leaves then let it simmer.
Quick, easy and yummy!

Kate May 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I use this recipe every. single. week.

Was going to ask you just yesterday (as I made it) if you’ve blogged it!!

Best and easiest pizza dough ever. We have homemade pizzas every weekend and have neatly cut out takeaway altogether!

Sunny May 10, 2011 at 2:10 am

I love making these. I fill them with all sorts of different things. After I cook them, I put them into the freezer for a quickie microwave meal.

katef May 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm

oh that is an awesome idea!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Susan, the Book Chook May 10, 2011 at 7:07 am

Our easy night is pizza night too! I cheat big time.

We bought one of those electric pizza makers. I love it because it’s fast – the cooking time for one pizza is about four minutes. Admittedly, there’s only three of us, but I also cook this way when friends drop in on Sunday night. I buy the small bases from the bread section of the supermarket and have them in the freezer. Prepare the ingredients, pop them on, cook and yum!

PlanningQueen May 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Love this recipe Kate. Would make a nice change from our homemade pizza.

Deb G May 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

These looks awesome! Thanks for the idea!!!!

Ro May 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Love this recipe, it sounds great and looks delish :)
I’ll be giving it a go for sure :)

Naomi Ellis May 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

My kids would so love this and it would earn me some serious mummy points if I made it. Thanks xx

Sarah May 11, 2011 at 6:23 am

These look fantastic and am sure my kids would love them since they love pizzas and pasties.
Thanks

sarah July 20, 2011 at 7:30 am

delish, these look like sunday lunch to me! and…i think i recognise you from the scrapping world…;)

Mel B July 22, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thanks for the recipe – I’ve found my easy Friday night dinner! I knew the recipe linkup would provide a solution – yum :) how many pockets would this recipe make?

Jeneta November 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Our go to recipe? Tuna mornay with rice!