Easy Art for Kids – Painting on Foil

August 30, 2011

easy art for kids - painting on foil

We haven’t had our painting easel out for a long time. It takes up a lot of space, and we don’t have much of that at the moment. But Morgan was keen to do ‘something special’… ‘not just boring old painting’ so I dragged the easel in and surprised him by setting up something really special!

easy art for kids painting on foil

Ok, so it’s not that special, just some regular old aluminium foil to paint on instead of paper. But it’s shiny and shimmery and you can see a very hazy reflection of yourself in the foil while you paint which feels rather magical.

easy art for kids foil painting

The foil is a little delicate and can rip and tear easily which can be frustrating. It is also light and moves around a lot if laid loosely on a flat surface which is also frustrating. So if you don’t have easel to attach your foil to, try taping it to a table or large piece of cardboard for some support.

It also helps to add a small amount of dish washing liquid to your paint mix. Not only will that make cleaning up easier but it also helps the paint to stick to the foil better and not flake off when it dries.

easy art for kids painting on foil

I think I managed to meet his request of something ‘special’!

I love doing art with my kids but I don’t believe that doing art at home needs to be complicated. Check out some more of our easy painting ideas…
easy painting ideasWater Colour Painting, Magic Painting, Cotton Bud Painting.

Joining the It’s Play Time link up with Quirky Momma this week.

{ 27 comments }

Amanda August 30, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I love this idea!!! Definately going to do this :)

Rebecca August 30, 2011 at 5:18 pm

this is a cool idea! I’m going to take that to the Playcentre we go to tomorrow! YAY!

Kate @ Puddles and Gumboots August 30, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I think that looks fabulous! All kids are going to think this is a special painting activity. The bright colours look fabulous against the alfoil. I just love your boy’s art apron too by the way :-)

katef August 31, 2011 at 1:51 pm

my mum made the apron (we have several) from this free pattern at Sew Liberated
It’s a fab apron because even little kids can get them on and off on their own and not that tricky to sew either.

Kate @ Puddles and Gumboots September 4, 2011 at 10:16 am

Haha I might give it an attempt someday. I have always wanted to learn to sew

Shae August 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Not only do I love this idea…I love this picture of Morgan

katef August 31, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I know… it’s very him isn’t it!

Aussie Mum August 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Thanks for the dish washing tip – our paint always seems to flake off the foil once it drys!

katef August 31, 2011 at 1:52 pm

sometimes it can depend on the type of paint too. I’ve found that powder paints flake a lot, even with some detergent added (though that does help). We use liquitemp and it seems to stay on quite well, even with folding.

Kristy August 31, 2011 at 9:48 am

What a fabulous idea! I will definitely remember this!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree September 2, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Love that you put foil on the easel! That really makes an easel intriguing again! Love the reflection of Morgan’s rainbow apron in the foil! (I thought that was part of the painting at first!)

Mickey September 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Love this idea! Also for easy clean up put contact paper on your easel. Easy to wipe down or just throw away after a while of using!

Kristy September 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

LOVE THIS!! I am a preschool teacher and have struggled with the paint adhering. Thanks for the tip!! :)

Kristin@SenseofWonder September 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These turned out so cute. I love painting on foil in the winter time with blues and whites. It looks so icy and cold. I have never tried the dish washing detergent before though. That’s a good idea.

Jackie September 7, 2011 at 5:55 am

I love this idea. my baby boy loves to paint and paint and paint… this will help bring something new to the endless painting ;)

Lynette January 22, 2012 at 2:12 am

This is SPECIAL! H e looks very happy. I wonder if adding glue to paint would help with it not cracking. We just did this at school to adhere paint better ot the foam egg cartons (we made dragons for Chinese New Year) IN that case we did almost 2 parts glue to one part paint. It worked famously. Love your paintings and cant wait to try it. Perhaps I will look for the heavy duty foil, see how that works out for the ripping issues. Awesome idea, thanks.

Adina February 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

It would be cool to try a self-portrait on the foil with older “artists”. In the meantime I’ll try getting my little one to put some dots on it. Very fun idea!

Liz Hallberg May 25, 2012 at 9:18 am

Thanks for the dish soap tip! We love painting on foil here, and we use a variety of “paint” every time we do it. Next time, dish soap in the paint it is! What bright colors! Pinned it :)

Laura S. September 20, 2012 at 8:53 am

If you sprinkle a little water on the table before putting the foil down the foil will stay in place. I do this when I’m rolling out cookie dough on foil.

Kandace December 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Try Martha Stewart’s foil +parchment it won’t tear as easy and its still shiny

Kate Hunter February 10, 2013 at 10:07 am

Great project to do when studying Gustav Klimt…thanks for the great idea!

jamie April 19, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I work w 3 yr olds ay a daycare always can use great ideas really dont got much to work w… so if anythin will help….thanks

Stephanie @ Lifes Little Adventures May 1, 2013 at 11:45 am

I love this idea! I would like to invite you to link up this post to Money Saving Monday so others can find this great idea as well. I hope to see you there.

Stephanie

Miriam July 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm

What kind of paint do you used por this project? Acrylic? Because I would love to try it with my kids

katef July 2, 2013 at 9:52 pm

We just use regular kids liquid tempera paint… just add a dash of dish washing detergent and it will help the paint stick to the foil.

Shary December 15, 2013 at 12:05 am

Great idea. I thought that wrapping the foil over cardboard squares before they paint would maker a nice presentation of the artwork. Also, it might keep it secure while they are painting. I will try this next week.

mariyam May 20, 2014 at 10:12 pm

NICE!

Comments on this entry are closed.