Working With Wood.

February 9, 2012

wood work with kids

We’ve painted on wood, and made wood constructions with hot glue, but we still have loads of wood scraps hanging around, thanks to our never ending renovations.

One thing we’ve not done much of is traditional hammer and nails wood work, but when The Father Figure discovered a couple of old, small, hammers and put new handles on them… well we had to try them out!

wood work for kids

Starting a nail isn’t easy, even for bigger hands, and there were one or two banged fingers and a bit of frustration but no major injuries. With a bit of practice and some instruction on where to put your hands so you don’t hammer your fingers they soon got better at it.

After they found some ear muffs, because it was kinda of loud with all that banging, then they really got into it. Adding some plastic bottle caps to their creations.

kids woodwork

And to finish it off I broke out a new packet of markers…. my kids love new markers almost as much as I do!

wood work with kids

Have you ever done wood work with your kids?
Got any good tips for us?

bubble936 February 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

lovely pics……….:)

Jode February 10, 2012 at 8:44 am

Wonderful creations and much concentration there! Can’t wait until my twins are old enough for wood play!

Rachele @ Messy Kids February 16, 2012 at 6:44 am

I love the addition of the caps! Going to add that to our woodworking too. Thanks for sharing on It’s Playtime.

GrowingPlay February 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm

My children were very interested in using real tools recently so I let them have at it. I even let them use a saw and they did a great job. Check out what they made over at the GrowingPlay blog – http://www.growingplay.blogspot.com/2011/12/build-your-own-balance-beam.html

Ed 'Red Fox' Harding February 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

Check out some of the things I have made at work both with and for the children at our kindergarten nursery Free Rangers Bath in the South West of England, using only reclaimed wood, a few hand tools and a couple of screws and nails!

steve spitalny February 20, 2012 at 6:13 am

I have done a lot of woodwork with youg children, 3-7years old. We have made so many things based on their imaginations from small wooden animals to swords and shields to abstract things that only the children can identify what they supposedly are. One great discovery that I have made good use of for 15 years or more is the file. We have files and rasps of all shaped and roughnesses and it is truly amazing what can be done with files. And they are pretty safe too!!!