Fruity Oaty Breakfast Muffins

My middle boy starts school on Wednesday. He is ready and oh so excited about it all, except for one thing. He doesn’t do mornings.

He is five going on fifteen when it comes to getting up in the mornings.
“Just five more minutes… pleeaasse’ he moans as he throws the covers back over his head and refuses to get out of bed.

Getting him out of bed in time for school every day of the week is not going to be easy, neither is getting him to eat something for breakfast.

So I’ve been trying to nut out a list of breakfast foods that might tempt him out of bed to eat, and food that could be consumed quickly and easily in the car on the way to school as I suspect that will happen often this year! And I think I may have stumbled across the answer… Oaty Breakfast Muffins!

breakfast muffons

I first discovered this recipe at Ambitious Kitchen that uses oats in stead of flour via pinterest and was intrigued by the simple idea of whizzing up oats in the food processor to make flour. Oat flour is high fibre and protein and I figured if I could make these into muffins they may just fill up my non-breakfast-eater until fruit time at school.

oat flour

And so began the great oaty breakfast muffin cooking experiment… and I am sharing the resulting recipe with you!

4.5 from 2 reviews
Breakfast Muffins
Serves: 12-16

Ingredients
  • 2.5 cups oats (any kind)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup of honey or ¾ cup brown sugar, or sweetener of choice
  • 1 cup plain yogurt or milk of any kind
  • ¾ cup of stewed apples or 2 ripe bananas
  • frozen raspberries or other fruit or choc chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to approx 180 degrees C. Use a well greased muffin pans and/or large muffin/cupcake liners. If you use lots of fruit these mat stick to the paper liners so you may want to use silicone or foil or give them a quick squirt of cooking oil first.
  2. Dump the oats into your food processor and whiz them up until they become a coarse flour. This may take a while, especially if you have an ancient food processor like I do. Add the baking powder and whiz that into the oat flour.
  3. In a large bowl combine the honey/sugar and eggs and mix well. Add the oat flour to the bowl and mix gently adding a little of the yoghurt or milk as you go. Lastly stir through the apple or banana and add your berries etc.
  4. Fill your muffin liners almost to the top as these won't rise very much and pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer poked in the middle comes out clean.

muffin

As an added bonus not only are these muffins wheat free, they also have no oil in them and are easy to make sugar free and/or dairy free.

You can easily vary the flavours by adding to or changing the recipe. We made chocolate ones by adding two table spoons of cocoa to the recipe with banana and they were delicious! You can also exchange some of the oat flour for self raising flour (reduce the baking soda a little) if you’d like them to be lighter, or if you think you’ll need to ease your kids into the idea of oats, but these really are surprisingly moist and not all that oaty so you may find you don’t need to worry.

Do you have a non-breakfast-eater? What do you feed them in the mornings?

I’m going to try these out…..but what I’m really desperate for are lunch ideas! How am I supposed to make 5x un-boring lunches each week for the next 13 years?? HELP!!

2. katie says

genius! i hate breakfast, and have to force myself to eat it, but i think these will even sway me! oh, and i know the kids will love them too :oP

3. stella says

What a fantastic idea. I run out of the house many times without breakfast this would be a nice breakfast. Thank you

I have a daughter who refuses to eat breakfast and I find it SOOO stressful. I’ve been racking my brains as to how I can get her to eat something other than toast. I’m going to give these a try and if it doesn’t work at least I’ll be happy… I can eat them!! They look yum!!

Hi Kate, we are big fans of oats in this family, so I had to try making them. Verdict? They rock! We all love them! So easy to make, so tasty, so yummy. Big winners of our first school week :)
    I also made mini ones with apples and frozen raspberries as nice after dinner treats.
    Making another batch now, using poached pear instead of apple :)

Thanks for the recipe :D

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a breakfast solution that’s easy AND healthy–and doesn’t contain 10millions specialty ingredients I have to go to the store for! In fact, I think I have all the ingredients on hand already…Thank you for this recipe!

7. Sarah says

Thanks for sharing this recipe! My kids love breakfast, but in the effort to be quick in the morning I am getting burned out on the same old go-to breakfast items. I stumbled upon these on Pinterest and think these will be a great treat for the family. I whipped up a batch tonight (banana w/ dried cranberries) and am excited to serve them tomorrow morning :) Thanks again.

8. Jay says

Are they suppose to be a bit mushy or should they have a muffin or cupcake like consistency? I think I did something wrong!

9. M.Monroe says

I’m trying these out now, I used about 1 1/2 cups oat flour, 1/2 cup rolled oats, and 1/2 cup WW flour… I used one banana and a few tablespoons of applesauce ( i only had one ripe banana!) & frozen mango chunks! Hopefully they turn out!

10. Leah says

Very nice made with pear and mixed berries. They also freeze well, and defrost well because of that nice dense consistency.

11. Jenni says

Just made these – half frozen raspberries and half with chocolate chips. I cannot wait for them to cool down.

How long do they last in the fridge and what the best way of freezing them??

• katepickle says

Ours are always all gone within a few days but I expect they’d last in the fridge for 2-3 days?

For freezing I pop mine in a freezer bag and just pop them in the freezer. Then I take out however many I need to defrost/warm them in the microwave because they a so yum warm!

12. Heidi says

Love these! I tried them with mashed pumpkin instead of apple or banana because I had some on hand. That works too! Craisins with the pumpkin is good. Trying blueberry ones tonight. You can’t taste the pumpkin but can kind of taste the oat flavor.

School goes back here tomorrow, so I’ve been madly trying to find inspiration for lunch boxes today. Wishing I’d seen this one earlier!
    Will definitely come back to it on the weekend. Looks fantastic!

Hi I am going to give these a go, they sound great, would just like to point out that although wheat free they do have gluten in unless you use gluten free oats, which I would do if trying them out for me-the taste would be the same though! Thanks

Trackbacks