Free Printable Hexi Cards

February 26, 2013

Every now and then an idea pops into my head that turns out to be great. It doesn’t happen very often mind you. Most often my ideas are total flops. But this one, this turned out to be pretty good, if I may say so myself.

It’s a simple idea, just a whole lot of hexagons with different coloured sections. We’ve dubbed them ‘Hexi Cards’.

hexi cards

The joy of this idea is that they are simple, easy to create, and can be used in lots of different ways.

Noah (who is 2 and a half) is learning his colours and used the cards to name colours and begin to match them.

hexi cards

He also likes to line things up, make patterns and shapes so had a lovely time playing around with two sets of cards on the floor.

hexi cards

The big kids (5.5 years and nine year old twins) also enjoyed making patterns with the bright coloured hexagons, but they soon made up their own dominos type game. Using three sets of cards (one set each) they took it in turn to match coloured wedges.

hexi cards

The girls took this one step further and added a maths component. For each colour you match you get one point. If you can match two or three colours in one go you get a point for each colour. They added up the scores on paper as they went along, practicing simple addition as well as problem solving, turn taking and more.

So much fun from a simple set of hexagons.

Hexi Cards download

You can download the free printable Hexi Card pdf here, or click on the image above. Print a few copies onto card, cut out and start playing!

What are you going to do with our Hexi Cards?
We’d love to see how you play with them so feel free to pop over to my facebook page and share a photo.

For more free printable resources and activities check out our printables page.

dottycookie February 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I used to play with a similar set when I was little – I seem to recall that each vertex had a third of a coloured flower printed on it and when all were lined up it looked like a flower garden. I had forgotten all about that till just now – thank you for reminding me!

katef February 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm

oh making flowers sounds like an awesome idea!! I wonder what other versions I could make with added shapes… hmmm how you have got me thinking!!

kichante February 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm
katef February 28, 2013 at 4:52 pm

oooh those look cool!

Maria February 27, 2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks a lot for sharing with us! I’m sure my kids will also enjoy it!

Haley February 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm

This is brilliant! I bet you could very successfully sell these!

katef February 28, 2013 at 5:00 pm

how cool would it be to invent a game that is sold all over the world!?!? Though I suspect I am not the only to have had this brilliant idea! LOL

Francine February 28, 2013 at 5:55 am

I found these on Pinterest earlier today and printed them out immediately for my three year old. he loved them and played with them for the last half hour before dinner. Thank you!

Tulip March 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Those are so beautiful and fun! I can’t wait to try them with my preschoolers. I know they are going to have lots of fun learning their colors with it. Pinned! Thank you.

Bek @ Just For Daisy March 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm

This is fabulous! My printer is broken! grr! But these are in the ‘to print’ file!! :) Woo! Thanks..sharing now!

Jackie@My Little Bookcase March 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Brilliant. Can’t wait to print and play.

jode March 2, 2013 at 9:42 pm

You are so clever Kate! Thanks so much for making these a printable and sharing with us…pinning now!!

Kate - An Everyday Story March 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm

You know I really do love these! You should be happy with them :P

Anna March 4, 2013 at 7:34 am

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Jeanette Nyberg March 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Get out. These are soooo cool! I cannot believe we just ran out of ink in my printer, but I’ll pin this and print them out tomorrow. My 3 year old will be thrilled to mess around with these!

Stacy @ Share&Remember March 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thanks for these, they look great. Our shape this month is the hexagon so PERFECT! I immediately printed, laminated and added magnets for our magnetic board: http://shareandremember.blogspot.com/2013/03/hexi-card-magnets.html

Thanks much!

Rebecca from here come the girls March 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Oh these are just brilliant – off to print now.

Thanks for sharing on The Sunday Showcase. I’ve pinned to our boards

Nanette March 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

Love this printable and have been inspired to do some other things with it and blogged about it (linking to your page), hope you don’t mind. Heres a link to the blog: http://littleboybluetoddleschool.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/1-printable-5-simple-activities.html

Tina March 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

This is fantastic!! What a great idea! Thank you!!!!

Deb @ Living Montessori Now March 13, 2013 at 11:26 pm

These are wonderful, Kate! Thanks so much for sharing them! I featured your printable as the Free Printable of the Day at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow and on Pinterest.

Vivian R. Huffman March 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm

These hexagon are fantastic play things! Its colorful, its fun and educational! Thanks!

Laura March 23, 2013 at 4:40 am

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully I can use these later to entertain my son when the new baby arrives.

Just like a previous comment, I also used to play Continuo, both the square and triangle versions. Hexagons are new, though! :)

Jassi Woschek March 26, 2013 at 3:34 am

Hello from Austria,

We have use this.

Jassi

Linda C May 24, 2013 at 10:23 am

OMG, thank you Kate, these are so awesome! I decided my daughters 2nd birthday would be a rainbow theme but I don’t have either the time, money or creativeness to do the stuff you find on pinterest. I’m going to print these and give out in the favour bags – I’ve been trying to think of something cheap but that is suitable for both the big and little kids – you have totally hit the jackpot!!!

Trish June 28, 2013 at 4:08 pm

What kind of card do you print them on Kate ?

katef June 28, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I have a Canon printer so I use Canon matte photo paper which is just like medium weight card. But you could print them on regular photo paper or even on plain paper and laminate or contact them if you like.

rebecca at thisfineday October 12, 2013 at 3:12 am

How fun! These look awesome. I can’t wait to see what my girls do with them. Thanks for the post!

jackie December 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes! How is it that I haven’t seen this post before? This has to be one of my all time favourite easy but fabulous DIY activity ideas, Kate! Brilliant! You can bet I’ll be making some of these for the hooligans in the new year!!

dahlia December 25, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for sharing this! Found you through pinterest and this is great for a rainy day…