Finger Leg Puppets

March 5, 2013

finger leg puppets

For the month of February my new school boy has had Wednesdays off. It has been lovely to have this extra day with my boy, and he has appreciated the breather mid week as he adjusts to starting school. Last week was his last Wednesday off, and he wanted to do something special… so for a bit of easy fun we made finger leg puppets.

No, not finger puppets, finger leg puppets!

These are super easy to make, just draw a picture – a persona, an animal, a monster, an alien… whatever you like but make sure to leave two round circles where the legs should be. Once you are done drawing, cut around your picture and cut out the circles. Slip your fingers into the holes and there you have it… a puppet with finger legs!

drawing finger leg puppets

At first we have a little difficulty figuring out where the legs would go on our end products so I made up some simple templates with grey circles to indicate where the holes would end up and that made things a lot easier.

Finger Leg Puppets - free printable template

You can download the finger leg puppet template here.

monster finger leg  puppets

Aliens were the characters of choice for my big boy. And not only did he have fun making them, he had lots of fun creating stories with them and putting on puppet shows all afternoon.

What sort of creatures would you make for your finger leg puppets?

Find loads more awesome drawing ideas here… 20+ Drawing Ideas and Activities

Kelly March 5, 2013 at 4:09 pm

What a fun project to do! Always fun to make puppets! But finger leg ones even better ;-)

Melissa March 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm

What a fabulous project, our new school boy would love to do some tomorrow on his day off – we still have 2 more Wednesdays off.

Kate - An Everyday Story March 5, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I used to love making these when I was little. We used to do all kinds of crazy puppet shows for my parents too. Those are some fab aliens :) We used to add moustaches and crazy hair too. So much fun :)

Loving all your new little printables Kate :)

Jackie@My Little Bookcase March 5, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Can’t wait to see what type of puppets and stories Cam creates with these.

Bek @ Just For Daisy March 5, 2013 at 9:57 pm

These are fabulous! Can’t wait to give these a go! Perfect puppets for toddler fingers!

Debs March 6, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Great idea for open ended creativity! Pinning :)

Penny March 9, 2013 at 7:43 am

So cute! I love the printable and how children can make what ever they want to make. So perfect!

Susan Call Hutchison (ReadAloudReadAlong.com) March 19, 2013 at 5:20 am

I can’t believe I had forgotten about finger LEG puppets! What a great addition to story-telling play. I think we’ll do a set for Chicken Little, so everyone can “Run and tell the King!”

Hannah January 11, 2014 at 9:39 pm

You inspired me to do this with my Art Club.

See the results here:

Thanks for the brilliant idea. My kids LOVED it!

Hannah

Fleur January 25, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Thank you Kate for sharing this great idea. I am going to use it as inspiration for my son to write stories. He will make up 4 character puppets and then design an adventure story around those. See how we go..