Printable Roads!

June 18, 2013

Free printable roads! Download, print and play!

The smallest member of our family likes ‘twucks’, and cars, and pretty much anything with wheels.

Right now all he wants to do is drive vehicles over every available surface, crash them into each other, and build ‘sheds’ for them to live in.

We have a set of lovely wooden roads that combine with our wooden train set, but we just don’t have enough of them. The road stops too soon and there is not enough corners of crossroads. So I figured I had better make some more roads.

An hour or so mucking around on the computer, plus two new ink cartridges (why does ink always run out at the worst possible moment?) and now we have as many roads as we like!

Free printable roads! Download, print and play!

These turned out even better than I had hoped. I printed out two sets to begin with them just printed out extras of each road shape as we needed them.

Free printable roads! Download, print and play!

Adding trees and blocks and signs our roads quickly became a town with a parking lot, a tunnel and, of course, a shed!

Free printable roads! Download, print and play!

Because we were in a hurry to use them I just printed them on plain paper, cut them out and got busy playing, but I think I’ll laminate them so they can go in the box with the cars for future use.

You can download, print and play with your own set of printable roads!

Free printable roads! Download, print and play!

The roads come as a six page A4 pdf document. You can download the printable roads here, or click on the sample image above. Then just print, cut and play.

We’d love to see how you play with the roads, so if you download them please take a photo and share it on my facebook page.

You can find more of our fun printables here and make sure you are following me on Pinterest for loads more fun ideas.

Veens June 18, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Aarya is going to LOVE this. THANK YOU! I am going to print these right away :)

Kate - An Everyday Story June 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

They are very wonderfully cool. I know a little man here who would love them too :) … shame I have a dodgy printer though…might need to twoddle over to mum’s house ;)

Debs June 18, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Fun, fun, fun! I shall need more ink though. haha. Shared on fb :)

Aleta @ Hinterland Mama June 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Great printables as always Kate and LOVE-ing the dolls, blocks, trees you have used with them. I’ve been working on some trees that actually look quite similar… Can you tell me where the dolls came from in the 2nd photo? They’re divine!
Off to share this x

katef June 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm

My Dad made the trees, the turned blocks and the people. I may have a few sets for sale soon – if I can get my act together!

Samantha @ Stir the Wonder June 19, 2013 at 4:22 am

What a great idea! My son would love these too! He also likes to build “sheds” for his trucks! LOL! How did you keep the paper from moving around? I see that as a frustrating problem for my son. tape?

katef June 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

We just used blocks to hold down the roads at first, but after I laminated the pieces they lay much flatter and stay put, any that were a problem we added a bit of blue tack to :)

Angie June 19, 2013 at 5:06 am

Great idea I love it. But where I can buy the sign roads, the tunnels & the trees.

katef June 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm

The road signs came from windmill toys – http://www.windmill.net.au/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=5307435&A=SearchResult&SearchID=20362668&ObjectID=5307435&ObjectType=27

The tunnels are part of our rainbow, and water element sets that we got from Entropy – http://www.entropy.com.au/grimm-s-rainbow-elements-stacker-small

And the trees and other blocks my Dad made – I may have some available for sale in the future.

Theresa in Texas June 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

Could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this today–been working on finding just the right “roads” for several days. These are definitely the best! I subscribed to your blog for ideas to use in packing shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. I don’t sew but was thinking of making a roll up using “heat and bond” but I think your roads will fit in the shoeboxes just fine and will give the child many more options that the small fabric one I would be able to fit in. Again thank you so much!! I don’t believe in coincidences, I believe in “God-incidences and this is certainly one!

katef June 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm

So lovely to think our roads will be off to brighten Christmas for someone. :)

Nathalie Brown June 19, 2013 at 11:39 am

Going to add these to my work kit fantastic thanks

jaime@FSPDT June 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

so cool. Much better than the ones i drew for my son a few weeks ago for an activity we did. Pinning this so we can use them in the future:-)

Louise June 19, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hi Kate – did you print the black or just white on black paper?
Thanks for sharing
Louise

Jode@mummymusingsandmayhem June 19, 2013 at 10:25 pm

These are fantastic Kate…what a generous printable…my girls will love them once laminated i think. All the props are so sweet too, your Dad is so clever! Shall share and pin x

Kirsten McCulloch June 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Fantastic! I have a feeling all my kids will get a kick out of these, 3, 6 & 11 year olds. :) I don’t have a printer, but will be downloading and sending them to work for the DH to print (I took a redundancy from my day job last week, so no longer have a printer on call for of my own.)

I foresee lots of school holiday fun!

Georgia June 21, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Thank you! Kept 2 children very happy on a rainy day. :)

Ness @ One Perfect Day June 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Kate these are brilliant! R is going to love them – we have cabin fever from all this rain so we needed something like this, thanks! Pinned and shared on my FB wall too.

Rachael :: Nothing if Not Intentional June 27, 2013 at 7:35 am

These are so great! Not only will my car-loving daughter love these, but we also have a lot of birthday parties coming up for babies and young toddlers. These roads with a few cars would be a very sweet and not-too-expensive gift! :)

michelle June 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm

this is such a great idea my son will love it .
my printers not working but l have a white pen /white paint and some black paper so l will try that .

Deb @ Living Montessori Now June 28, 2013 at 3:01 am

These are fabulous, Kate! My son was always obsessed with vehicles, and he would have LOVED these when he was little. Thanks so much for sharing your printable! I featured your post as the Free Printable of the Day at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow (and on Pinterest).

Lesley July 11, 2013 at 1:37 am

Loving the print out road! My son loves it, we’ve stuck them down on card and added small world animals, cars! Love it thank you..

lemondedis July 17, 2013 at 7:54 pm

quelle bonne idée ! merci pour le partage… j’ai créé un lien ici : http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/jeux-pour-les-ptits-chats-freebies/

Cristina July 23, 2013 at 6:21 am

This is such an awesome idea!

Rachel July 26, 2013 at 6:37 am

Oh wow- these are fantastic! What a great idea. I would love to link to these if you didn’t mind.

katepickle July 26, 2013 at 11:45 am

More than happy for you to share an image with a link back Rachel. Send me an email if you need anything else :)

Alicia August 3, 2013 at 9:58 am

Hi! I love your printable roads! We made some similar ones out of felt for our daughter. Took a bit longer but fun to make :)

We featured your post in a round up of similar do-it-yourself toy car ideas on our blog and linked back here!

Love your blog!

Jen September 5, 2013 at 8:04 am

Thank you for sharing the roads…my daughter is using them as we speak for her “Lego” town!

Montse Casás September 27, 2013 at 7:03 am

Muchas gracias Kate por compartir todos estos imprimibles .

lourdes October 8, 2013 at 2:36 am

gracias, exelente idea. Nos alegro una tarde de lluvia. Utilizamos el reverso de papel usado y una caja de carton para incluir pendientes y un tunel

karin October 17, 2013 at 5:38 am

great, thank you very much :-)

limeslounge December 2, 2013 at 7:10 am

Hi Kate,
wonderful blog :-)
Please, can you install a translationbutton?
That would be great! Regards, Petra

Heather December 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

how simply awesome! I’ve been looking at the expensive track sets in the store and not liking what I’ve found. I laminated the roads and added tabs with velcro so that they can stick together much like the wooden and plastic train sets connect. My kids love them! I also saved on ink by printing one set (draft quality) to serve as a template then used BLACK cardstock with white out (no white paint in the house) to make multiple sets. Thanks for the idea!

Ashley January 13, 2014 at 7:13 am

I have been looking for something like this for ages! The little boy I look after is going to absolutely love these. BIG THANKS!

Monika January 14, 2014 at 6:24 am

I made one copy and now I’m off to the photocopier- much cheaper 5 cents a page :)

shirley June 2, 2014 at 4:13 am

Thanks so much for share with us

The Educational Tourist July 9, 2014 at 11:34 pm

What a marvelous idea! I love using painter’s tape for roads, but this is heavenly, too! Wonderful for older kids as well – let them do the cutting. Thanks for sharing such a creative idea.