Shaker Painting

July 16, 2013

Shaker Painting - an easy, low mess, art activity

Poor Noah is bleary eyed, full of snot and has a hacking cough. I really just wanted him to chill on the couch, drink lots or water, and maybe even sleep to help him kick this bug, but no, he wanted to paint, he HAD to paint, and he had to do it NOW!

I was trying to come up with a quick, easy, and fairly mess free activity to satisfy Noah’s desire to paint when I remembered I had set aside a couple of containers so we could try shaker painting and that fit the bill perfectly!

Shaker Painting

You’ll Need:

• A large jar or container with a lid.
  • Paper strips cut to fit inside the jar.
  • Paint – we used red paint and fluro yellow paint given to us by Micador
  • Marbles or other small items
  • Containers and spoons for each colour of paint

Shaker Painting - an easy, low mess, art activity

This art activity was simple enough for Noah to do pretty much on his own once I had gathered all the materials.

I helped him curl the paper to fit it inside the jar then all he had to do was spoon in a marble, or two, or four and put the lid on.

Shaker Painting - an easy, low mess, art activity

Then shake, shake, shake!

Shaker Painting - an easy, low mess, art activity

Ta-da!

Shaker Painting - an easy, low mess, art activity

Using the glass jar was fun because we could see what was happening inside, but it was a bit heavy for Noah to manage on his own, and the surprise element of the plastic container was also good.

Shaker Painting - an easy, low mess, art activity

This was such an easy activity, and now I have hankering to try this in a really big bucket with lots of colours!

Shaker Painting - an easy, low mess, art activity

Frog goose and bear July 16, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Mess free painting – gotta love that! I used to get the paints out often with my eldest, but I must admit that it just all seems too hard now with the youngest. I think this version may just turn me though.

Hannah July 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm

That does look fun. I want to try it all on my own… I’ll use the kids as an excuse ;)

Alana July 16, 2013 at 10:18 pm

that looks cool!! hope he is feeling better soon

Jackie@My Little Bookcase July 16, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Cammy is very interested in mixing colours at the moment. I think this would be a great new way for her to mix them.

Thanks

Jode@mummymusingsandmayhem July 16, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I’ve done this with clear containers but love the idea of the surprise!! Isn’t that little face so cute…sick, who’s sick? hehe

Liz Allan July 16, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Lovely idea! I think I might get my eldest to help me make one for my youngest :)

Renèe @ adventuresathomewithmum July 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Very neat idea!
We will have to try this
Thanks

rebecca at thisfineday July 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm

What a fabulous idea! I always try to re-direct the request to paint because it’s so messy. This seems much more contained and a great spin on the request to paint. Thanks for the idea! Pinning now!

Kelly July 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Love it. And it’s not that messy really, which is a bonus, isn’t it.

Kate@LaughingKidsLearn July 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm

We love this type of painting because it’s such a surprise what the paper is going to be like once the container is opened. Pinned this thanks Kate.

Pauline@lessonslearntjournal.com July 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Too awesome!!! Now to find four jars because my kids are going to love this. Thanks Kate. Hope Noah feels better soon. xo P

Debs July 23, 2013 at 4:48 pm

My Noah would have a ball with this. And after the mess we created the other day, low mess activities are really appealing to me now. haha :) Featured on Tuesday Tots.