Last weekend we made fishing nets from old ballet tights, put on our gumboots, and played in the dam all day. We caught tadpoles and collected frog’s eggs in the sunshine. It was a good day, and it has carried me through this wet and dreary week.
Not that I’m complaining about the rain!
I’m not complaining about the incredible deluge that happened right on school pick up on Tuesday. I had to carry my seven year old over the raging torrent to get to the car there was such a huge amount of rain in such a short time!
I’m not even complaining about the muddy mess at my back door step, or the washing line full of clothes that just keeps getting another rinse.
It’s easy to fall into the habit of complaining about the rain, but it’s not the rain that gets me down, more the lack of sunshine. And there are plenty of good things about the rain…
The rain has made the paddocks suddenly come alive with fresh green grass and the gum trees that were burnt in the fire last February are going crazy with new green shoots.
The rain has made the frogs go crazy! There is frog spawn in all the big puddles, loads of tadpoles to catch, and we counting at least 5 different frog noises one night.
The rain has soaked my freshly ploughed veggie garden ready for me to order and plant spring seeds!
The rain is filling our water tanks and with a hot dry summer predicted we need every drop we can get.
Here are few more good things I’ve come across online this week…
- Raising Tadpoles from Racheous Loveable Learning – in case you want to catch some for yourselves!
- A Tub of Bubbles – I revived this old post of mine this week. It’s a great, low mess, sensory activity. Perfect for a rainy day.
- A fancy paper plane with landing gear from Frugal Fun for Boys.
- I loved this perspective on kids and ‘work’ around the home from Playful Learning.
- I was also reminded of this post this week – It’s Not Personal.
Special Offer from Entropy and Picklebums!
Thank you to everyone who entered my Entropy Castle give away a few weeks back. If you didn’t win but you’d still love a castle kingdom of your own, I have great news!
This week Entropy is offering a special deal for Picklebums readers – buy any Papo or Le Toy Van castle from the Entropy range and score $50 worth of Papo figurines for FREE, plus an exclusive castle baseboard for FREE (usually $19.95). It’s everything you need to create your own Castle story and the perfect Christmas gift!
How to claim this offer:
1. Order and pay for your castle of choice at www.entropy.com.au, leaving the Elves a note in the comments section of your order that you want to take advantage of the “Picklebums Papo Offer”.
2. The Elves will add the $50 of Papo figurines and castle baseboard to your order and post it to you.
Please note: Cannot be used with any other discount codes. Entropy will choose the Papo figurines from the Knights and Dragons range to equal as close to $50 as possible. This offer is available until Friday, September 19, 2014 (midnight) or while stocks last, for Australian postal addresses, and there are no holds or laybys on this super special.