I’d promised the kids an ‘at home movie night’ and I was determined to make it as good as going to the ‘real movies’… or better!
We’d hired some DVDs, they had corn chips for entree, I let them eat dinner in front of the TV and for dessert… crazy gooey cookie bars!
These ‘bars’ are VERY gooey, especially when you fill them to the brim with goodies. We put mini marshmallows, choc chips and candy covered baking bits in ours and then pressed a few extra on the top for good measure!. You could definitely put less choc chips etc in them, or even add healthier options, but I figure every now and then you may as well go all out!
You really do need to let them cool completely before you attempt to cut them, really. Or just eat them a spoon if you can’t wait!
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 120 gms of butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 1 cup of mini marshmellows
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of candy covered baking bits.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (approx. 350 F) and grease and line a 20x30cm baking dish or tray.
- Cream butter and sugar with electric beaters, add vanilla, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Set aside a handful of chocolate chips and baking bits to sprinkle on the top, add the rest to the mix along with the marshmallows and stir through.
- Press the sticky mixture into the baking dish, spreading it out as best you can. Sprinkle the left over chocolate chips and baking bits over the top and press them in lightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it browns around the edges. Do not over cook! The middle will still be soft and gooey when you take it out. Let it sit in the warm dish to finish cooking.
- Wait until it is completely cold before slicing into ooey gooey pieces.
These are not the least bit healthy, and are great for a special movie night treat!