This post is sponsored by Three Sun Possums
“The sun is shining, spring is here! Ok kids, off you go, outside!”
Sometimes my kids are out the door before I have even finished the sentence, but sometimes they need a little coaxing. I’m a bit like that too. Sometimes I need a little push to get organised and outside.
Outside play doesn’t have to be a struggle, a little pre-planning and some simple ideas will get everyone out into the fresh air without stress.
Make Going Outside Easy!
Some days my kids are out the door first thing in the morning and are dragged back in, dirty and tired, when it gets too dark to see. To make days like those happen it needs to be easy to go outside and easy to stay outside.
Make it Easy to Get Out the Door
- Have hats, shoes and sunscreen in a handy spot by the door so they are easy to find.
- Teach kids how to apply their own sunscreen. When they are little you will need to go over their sunscreen efforts, but I just supervise my big kids and remind them of spots the may have missed.
- Use a covering shirt or top like the ones my kids are wearing in these photos. They are from Three Sun Possums and are perfect for my super fair boys, keeping them cool and protected, while also cutting down on the amount of of sunscreen we need to apply. Find out more information below.
Make it Easy to Stay Outside
- Take lunch and snacks outside. A backyard picnic is always fun, and no crumbs to sweep off the floor either!
- Give kids a water bottle to keep outside so they don’t need to keep coming in and out to get a drink.
- Make a place outside for a rest and cool down after lots of wild and active play. A rug and some cushions in the shade is a perfect outdoor chill out spot.
- Go outside with them. You don’t have to entertain your kids constantly, but if you are outside, gardening or reading or pottering around enjoying the back yard, your kids are much more likely to join in.
Simple and Fun Outside Play Ideas.
You don’t need to set up elaborate activities or full on sports matches to keep your kids engaged and happy outside. There are lots of simple activities and ideas that only need a little set up and even less clean up, and they are lots of fun.
Take Inside Activities Outside.
- A pile of books or a construction set on a blanket in the shade is an easy quieter outside activity.
- Set up play dough on an outside table and you won’t have to worry about the mess!
- Some plastic animals in the sand pit, a dirt patch, a garden bed or just in the grass is an easy invitation for imaginative play. Add some sticks, pebbles or other natural materials if you like.
- Bring some music outside, there is lots of space to dance and be loud!
- Some dolls or soft toys would love to have a tea party outside.
- Try super simple, low mess, water play with a bucket and a brush to ‘paint’ things with water.
- You don’t need a fancy water table; try some of these DIY alternatives for water play.
- Add a bucket of water or a trickling hose to the sandpit, or a patch of dirt to make a mud patch!
- Freeze some treasures into ice blocks and watch them melt!
- Taking activities like slime or goop outside makes clean up much easier, you can just hose everyone and everything down!
Take Art Outside.
- Keep it simple with a container or chalk for drawing.
- Tape some paper to the fence and paint a mural
- Use a clipboard to make your art portable and encourage your kids to find something outside to inspire their drawings.
- Go crazy painting or drawing on a big cardboard box to make a custom cubby house.
Play With Nature
- Climb a tree!
- Pick some flowers and make a daisy chain, or press them between the pages of a thick book.
- Plant a garden, there are lots of quick growing, kid-friendly plants and veggies.
- Collect some friendly bugs.
Make Going Outside Easy with Three Sun Possums Sun-savvy Playwear.
I have two fair, and two super fair skinned, children so we are always looking for practical ways to keep them protected from the sun when they are outside. The Three Sun Possum shirts are light, comfortable, and cool, and because they have long sleeves and high necks it means we don’t have to use as much sunscreen. That is especially great for my little one, who suffers from eczema and sunscreen stings and makes it worse.
The shirts come in a variety of lovely colours and patterns for boys and girls sizes 1-12 and ladies too. They are 100% cotton, lightweight and breathable so there are no hot, sweaty, grumpy kids. They are easy to wash, don’t require ironing (win!), and my friend has already put her hand up for when my kids grow out of them and we hand them down.
They are exactly what I’ve been looking for to help get us outside and enjoying the sunshine quickly, easily and comfortably.
You can see the full range and buy online at the Three Sun Possum webite.
Picklebums readers can also take advantage of a special introductory offer. If you buy two or more items from the Three Sun Possum range, use the coupon code ‘Picklebums’ to get 20% off the order total. Perfect for early Christmas shopping. Offer valid until October 31st 2014.
What is your favourite outside activity?
This post is coordinated by The Remarkables Group
Read the comments or scroll down to add your own:
kate - The Craft Train says
They are such cute shirts! I’m seriously thinking of ordering one for myself.
I want my kids to come and play outside with your kids, Kate!! Brilliant. x