My kids are stuck in a food rut.
All they want to eat is mexican food.
I can add taco seasoning to just about anything and all four of my kids will eat it and ask for seconds.
All four kids, eating and liking the same meal!
That is a rare and precious thing, so you imagine how often we have ‘mexi-flavoured’ meals at our house, and while I am super grateful to have a handful of mexi meals everyone eats, I am getting a bit bored with making the same old tacos and burritos and enchiladas again and again and again!
So the other day I came up with a brilliant idea for a quick, easy, budget friendly dinner, and of course I started with good old taco seasoning. Before I knew it I’d cooked this awesome, kid-friendly, new mexi dinner – Mexi Fried Rice!
There is nothing fancy about this recipe, nothing at all.
It is literally a ‘chuck in whatever you can find in the fry pan and cook it’ kind of meal.
The only thing you’ll need to plan a little ahead of time is the rice. It’s best to use rice that you’ve cooked earlier and allowed to cool, but if you are in a rush cook your rice then rinse it with cold water for a while, then chuck it in the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients to cool it down as much as possible before you add it to the fry pan.
We used tinned corn (but you could also use frozen), frozen capsicum (did you know you can buy capsicums when they are cheap, chop them and freeze them for later!) and some spinach from the garden. You could also add beans, or grated carrot, or whatever veggies your kids like and you happen to have on hand.
We usually make our own taco seasoning, but it works just as well with store bought seasoning.
- 6 cups cooked, cooled, rice.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 3 tbsp [url href=”https://picklebums.com/adventures-in-cooking-from-scratch-taco-seasoning-and-tortillas/” target=”_blank”]taco seaoning[/url]
- 1 cup corn kernels (tinned or frozen)
- 1 cup chopped red capsicum
- 1 cup chopped spinach or other greens
- In a large fry pan heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the garlic for a minute or two.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir it into the oil, allowing it to heat through.
- If using frozen corn and/or capsicum, add the frozen veggies and cook gentle until defrosted.
- Add the spinach and cook gently.
- Finally add the rice and gently stir through all the veggies and seasoning. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the rice has warmed through and the veggies are tender.
This is a great meal on it’s own, but it’s also the perfect side dish for burritos, or enchiladas, or tacos, or any other mexi-flavoured dish.
So yeah, we are still stuck in a food rut, but at least I have something new to feed my mexi-obsessed kids!
Am I the only one with kids who stuck in a food rut?
Have you got kids that only want to eat one particular type of food?