What do you do when you don’t have a kitchen?
You get other people to cook for you, that’s what you do!
My Mum makes the most yummiest fruit cake and she swears it is easy to make as well… but I wouldn’t know anything about that since I leave the fruit cake making entirely up to her! But I did get her to share here awesome fruit cake recipe for all of you who don’t have a Mum who makes fruit cake for you.
|Nanny Pickle’s Awesome Fruit Cake||
- 1 440gm tin of crushed pineapple
- 250 gm mixed dried fruit
- 250 gm of other dried fruit chopped – eg apricots, cherries, cranberries or dates
- juice of one lemon or orange
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 125 gm butter
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- In a large saucepan combine fruit, sugar, butter and juice. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Grease and line a 20x20cm square cake tin (or similar) with baking paper. Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees C.
- Once the fruit mixture is cool add the plain flour, baking powder and 1 eggs, mix well. Add them right into your saucepan, mix it all in the one pot and save on washing up… or you can do it in a big mixing bowl if you want to.
- Then add the self raising flour and the other egg and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into your lined tin and bake at 150-160 C for 1 hour. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. It may need a little longer in the oven, if it is cracking or getting too brown on top cover with some foil.
This cake is so yummy and fruity and did I mention yummy?
My Mum says it’s best to leave it for a day before you cut it, but it’s so full of fruit it’s not going to cut into neat little slices no matter what you do so you may as well eat it straight away I reckon!
Read the comments or scroll down to add your own:
my great aunt used to make a similar fabulous cake and i use her recipe now – isn’t it awesome? i might add a few of your changes just to play around. thanks nanny pickle!! how much butter is in your recipe?
aarrghg sorry I totally missed this and the error! It’s 125 grams of butter… thanks for letting me know, have edited the recipe now!
Hi Kate. I was thrilled to find this recipe on your blog as I have been looking for yrs for it. Just about to attempt but wonder is the pineapple drained??? I love ur blog by the way-wishing u all a wonderful Xmas!
Kate Lloyd says
Oh that looks so delicious!!!!! Nothing like a recipe that has been passed down. I love fruit cake too.