Jungle Playdough

June 28, 2011

jungle play dough set

My Big Boy is playdough crazy at the moment. We have lots and lots of playdough accessories, but his sisters wanted to get him ‘something special’ for his birthday, something different to all the playdough things we already have. Instead of buying more commercial accessories the girls decided to make him some!

They knew his love for all things green and so, with a little help, they whipped up a BIG batch of bright green playdough, using our favourite cook in the microwave playdough recipe.

jungle playdough

Then they snuck off to their room to collect some accessories. Working with a ‘Jungle’ theme they found stones, gum nuts and a selection of Jungle animals (and I know technically lots of those animals don’t live in the jungle but it was the best we could do!). I supplied a few plastic leaves and a container to put it all in and we wrapped it up ready for the birthday boy.

jungle playdough

Morgan LOVED his playdough gift and spent most of the morning making food and houses for the animals. We even made animal tracks in the play dough and compared foot prints!

jungle playdough animal footprints

Such an inexpensive, easy gift and something a little different to do with play dough.

What are your favourite playdough accessories?

{ 9 comments }

Mother Duck June 28, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Nawwwww, aren’t they the sweetest sisters? Thanks for sharing the playdough recipe. I think Eedie might be ready to have a go at playdough. :)

Mandy June 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Honestly, play dough gives me the absolute shits! But the reality is the kids love it and can play with it for hours on end. When they have it out the tub sits on the table and they get it in and out each day for a good week, before I’m completely over it.
I just hate that no matter how hard I try I can’t contain it, for some crazy reason my son always seems to drop some on the chair and then put his knee in it. What is with that!

katef June 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I so hear you Mandy.
For ages I detested the stuff but I’ve done a lot of personal work on letting go of my issues with mess… probably helps that we have all floor boards so no play dough smooshed into the carpet.
Mind you we are building a HUGE covered veranda and when the renos are finished play dough will be an outside thing!

Lulu June 29, 2011 at 1:04 am

What a lovely present- so thoughtful (as it is green!) and a nice gift from big sisters without needing mama to shell out for the present. Much.

Thanks for sharing microwave playdough recipe. Will have to try it!

Jen June 29, 2011 at 8:57 am

This is a lovely idea. I love that your girls thought of it and helped put it all together. Sometimes the best presents are ones we can make ourselves and playdough sure fits the bill.

Kate June 29, 2011 at 10:26 am

What a wonderful idea… Going to get creative and see what I can do!

We only have a bucket of 100 plastic cookie cutters that were $10 at Aldi when my toddler was 6 weeks old… He loves them but I think he needs a bit more!

katef June 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Oh we have that bucket of Aldi cutters, they were good value! We bundled up some cutters and made play dough and gave them as Christmas gifts that year!
So many cheap, or free things you can add to play dough. I’ll get my kids working on a few more sets and blog some other ideas soon!

SquiggleMum June 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Dear Izzy and Zoe. You are awesome sisters. Your playdough-present idea for Muski was totally cool. From SquiggleMum.

Susie July 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm

How sweet! My daughter would love this.

Comments on this entry are closed.