What To Do With a Big Box? – Make a Tunnel!

February 14, 2012

what to do with a big box? Make a tunnel

Another bonus of the never ending renovations is the never ending supply of big boxes! We haven’t even got the new kitchen appliances and already we’ve made a Lego town with one big flat box, and when the shower frame came out of it’s box (don’t get excited, that doesn’t mean we have a working shower yet!) I had plans for it!

This time the box was for the smallest member of our family.

The boy who doesn’t say any useful words such as ‘Mamma’ or ‘drink’ but who’s newest word is ‘hiding’.

“Where’s Noey?” his siblings ask him constantly.
And his reply is always…

“Hiding!”

Even though he is quite obviously not hiding.

Clearly he needed somewhere to hide, so we made him a tunnel.

make a box tunnel

This is as simple as it gets. It’s just a big box or large flat piece of cardboard. I roughly measured out thirds and scored a sort of straight line to fold along. Then I folded it into a triangle shape and taped it together.

make a box tunnel

Of course then my drawing mad big boy decided it needed to be decorated and we discovered it also made a lovely drawing surface.

make a box tunnel

And now Noey has somewhere to go when he is ‘hiding’!

Plus it’s lots of fun to crawl through the tunnel, to roll cars through it, or to curl up with a pillow and go to sleep… well for a second anyway!

Amanda February 14, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Beautiful photos! We love playing with boxes too. My older son had a d play house and a pentagon shaped cave. Unfortunately, we haven’t made any big purchases recently and my two year old, exactly the right age for a box, hasn’t had any yet.

Kate @ Loving Life February 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hi there Kate, I have been a lurker for way too long, love your blog very much! Just wanted to tell you!! :)

Love the box idea, my boys love doing this sort of stuff too!
Kate

Julia-Kuku Couture February 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Boxes are so much fun have you seen rolobox? They are reusable wheels that you can attach to any box. So cool.

SparklePetal February 15, 2012 at 5:59 am

Ahha! Excellent, I was just wondering what to do when hubby gets back from Ikea tomorrow and we unpack the contents of the cardboard boxes! My girl would love a tunnel for the half term holiday!

Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy February 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Adorable, my boys do the same thing, too cute. Who needs expensive toys when they can have so much fun with a box? I love the pics on the side of the tunnel. Fun.

Didi {Duck Duck Octopus} February 17, 2012 at 5:08 am

This is an excellent post! The best toys are generally right under our noses. The tunnel looks like so much fun, and the photos just say it all. Have you read the post about “The 5 Best Toys” by Geek Dad? It is pretty funny. Box is number 2 on his list. :-)

Pauline@lessonslearntjournal.com May 9, 2013 at 12:01 am

Ha ha ha. Just look at the joy in that gorgeous face! Love this Kate! I’ll be featuring this as part of my baby play roundup this week. xo Pauline