This post is sponsored by Hellmann’s Mayonnaise.
My kids adore the chicken rolls you get from a certain takeaway chicken place… aw heck, who am I kidding, I love them too.
There are many good things about living in the country, and one of them is that there aren’t any fast food places near us. I have to load all the kids in the car and drive for 20 minutes to get one of these awesome chicken rolls, and that’s entirely too hard, I may as well just make them myself, which is exactly what I do.
These crunchy chicken strips are not the same as the ones from the takeaway chicken place, my kids think they are better!
Hellmann’s sent us some of their delicious mayonnaise to try. It makes the best dill and mayonnaise dipping sauce (which you have to have with these chicken strips) and it’s one of the secret ingredients in these crunchy chicken strips.
Apart from mayonnaise, these crunchy chicken strips have another secret ingredient and a cooking method that make them extra crunchy and delicious, as well as easy to make.
We use chicken thighs for this recipe, because they don’t dry out as easily so they are a bit more forgiving. But you can use chicken breast if you prefer, or buy chicken tenderloins and you don’t have to cut them into strips.
Instead of making an egg wash to dip the chicken pieces into, mix together some mustard, garlic, greek yogurt and mayonnaise and coat the chicken with that before covering them with the next secret ingredient. Add herbs and crushed cornflakes to the breadcrumbs. Yep, cornflakes. Crushing cornflakes into your breadcrumb mix makes for a super crispy coating!
One last secret is that the chicken strips are baked in the oven, not fried. So if you have a heap of starving kids like I do, you can fill up a few baking trays and cook a whole lot of them all at once!
We make our own chicken strip rolls with a nice crusty bread roll, some dill and mayonnaise sauce, crunchy chicken strips, shredded lettuce and salad. So good!
With a little bit of effort I can make chicken strip rolls that are better than the takeout version!
Here’s the recipe for easy crunchy chicken strips:
- 500gms chicken (thigh or breast) cut into strips
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp seedy mustard
- 1½ cup bread crumbs
- 1½ cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tbs mixed dried herbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius and line a couple of baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic and mustard in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes and dried herbs in a shallow dish.
- Add the chicken strips into the yoghurt and mayonnaise mixture and make sure all pieces are well coated with the sauce.
- Dip the chicken strips into the breadcrumb and cornflake mixture, making sure they are well coated, and place them onto the baking tray.
- Bake the chicken strips in the oven for 30 - 45 minutes, turning once, until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with bread rolls, shredded lettuce and dill and mayonnaise dipping sauce.
Here’s the recipe for easy dill and mayonnaise sauce:
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- a big bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped.
- Chop the dill very finely and make sure the garlic is well minced.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, garlic, and chopped dill and mix well.
Please note: this recipe uses Australian measurements and temperatures, if you need to convert measurements or temperatures you can find our printable cooking conversion chart here.
You have to put in a bit of effort to make these crunchy chicken strips, but they must be healthier than take away, they are definitely cheaper, and I don’t have to put on a clean shirt or listen to my kids argue about music choices in the car. That’s a win all round in my opinion!
Do you ever make ‘take out at home’?
What’s your favourite homemade version of a take away meal??