Over the past few months I have been trying to perfect my baked pancake recipe. I wanted it to be thick and fluffy, and cooked all the way through without becoming rubbery.
On the weekend three things combined to create the best baked pancake ever!
1)I was flipping through a cook book at Kmart (which I bought as a Christmas gift) and noticed a pancake recipe that had beaten eggs whites in it. Aha!
2) Daddy took the big boy to the berry farm and they bought back so many berries! Raspberries, loganberries and bramble berries, all begging to be combined with our homegrown strawberries in a giant baked pancake.
3)We had guest for dinner on Sunday and I needed an easy but impressive dessert.
So right before we sat down to a family dinner with the greatest of Aunts on Sunday I attempted to make a giant berry baked pancake… with beaten egg whites as the secret ingredient to fluffiness.
In initially I thought whipping up the egg whites would be a pain in the bum, but I got Noah to hold the beaters while I mixed up the rest of the ingredients and it was actually super quick and easy. The pancake cooked in the oven while we ate dinner and as I sprinkled it with icing sugar, ready to serve, I realised I had just made the giant baked berry pancake of awesomeness!
So good… so quick… so easy!
To prove how it awesome it was I made another one today and fed it to my friend for lunch (yes… we ate pancake for lunch, what of it??). It was still awesome when the kids came home from school this afternoon and scoffed the leftovers.
You guys really, really, need to make this!
- 2 tbsp (approx 30gms) butter
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1/3 sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour (or 1 cup of plain flour and 2 tsp baking powder)
- 1 cup milk
- 1- 1.5 cups Berries or fruit of choice
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C (approx 400 degrees F).
- Find a large baking dish or high sided ovenproof pan. Pop the butter into the dish (you don’t have to be accurate with the amount of butter) and put it in the oven till it has melted.
- While the butter melts separate the eggs and beat the eggs whites till they form soft peaks.
- In another bowl combine the egg yolks and sugar and beat well, then add the flour and milk and mix till you have got most of the lumps out!
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, it doesn’t matter if it is not mixed in completely, in fact that is better as you don’t want to knock the air out of it.
- Swirl the butter around until the bottom and sides of the dish are well coated, then pour in the pancake mixture. Add berries (or other fruit) into the batter as evenly spaced as you can.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is a lovely golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm!
We served ours with extra berries and some of that delish lemon yoghurt, but it would also be excellent with ice-cream!
This is the perfect dessert for when you have guests as it cooked while we ate and was ready to serve just as we were ready for dessrt, and it looked impressive, even though it was dead easy! This is now my go to dessert recipe for when we have visitors!