I’ve got four kids, and a husband, a house, a garden, a car with broken air-conditioning, and somewhere between 12 and 18 chickens. I have enough to worry about without adding anything extra!
So this year there will be no resolutions, no ‘word’ of the year, no promises to do more or be more…
Instead, I’m dumping a few useless things, and lightening my load just a little.
This year I am giving up caring about these ten things:
- I am not going to care about whether I wear the same clothes every day – if it’s clean-ish and I like it, I’m wearing it, no one notices what I wear anyway.
- I am not going to care about whether my facebook posts get any reach – if I find it interesting, or amusing, or cool I’ll share it because it makes me and the three people facebook shows it to happy.
- I am not going to care how clean my floors are – unless I want to spend my entire life sweeping, vacuuming and mopping, it will never be entirely clean anyway.
- I am not going to care whether we eat the same meal every week for an entire year – if three out of four kids eat it, and it doesn’t kill me to make it, it’s in high rotation, end of story.
- I am not going to care if I have to fudge my ‘one second of video every day project’ – this is about capturing memories, not about rules!
- I am not going to care whether that group of school Mums cares to remember my name, or say hello, or even smile – I have lots of awesome friends who appreciate me.
- I am not going to care whether I eat too much sugar, not enough fish, too much fat, not enough whole grains, to many preservatives, not enough protein, or too many carbs – I am looking after my body, not anyone else’s.
- I am not going to care about what books my kids are reading – if they are reading and it’s not x-rated then it’s a win.
- I am not going to care that our house is half painted, that we still have no laundry door and not a single picture hanging on our walls – if you are my friend you like me for me, not for my house, so come on over.
- I am not going to care about what other people think of me – ok that is a lie. I will still care about what other people think of me, I know I will… but I’m working on caring less, because as they say ‘what someone else thinks is none of my business’ and I don’t need to waste time worrying about it.