There are not many dinners that make everyone in our house happy.
If three out of four kids like a meal, I call that a huge win.
If four out of four kids like a meal, I call that a miracle!
This easy chicken, mushroom and broccoli pasta is a double miracle meal.
Not only do all four kids like it, but they also like cooking it.
Even when they were little the kids could help cut the veggies for this meal. If you cut the mushrooms in half first they are easy to cut even with a butter knife. Break off the broccoli ‘branches’ and the kids can use a butter knife or serrated table knife to cut them into small pieces too.
This was one of the first meals my big kids cooked entirely on their own, and these days it’s become a firm family favourite.
- Approx 300gms chicken thigh cut into small pieces (or breast if you prefer)
- 10-12 medium sized button mushrooms
- a little butter or oil
- 2 medium heads of broccoli
- 1 cup of stock or cream of mushroom soup
- 300gms sour cream
- pepper and salt to taste
- In a large pan heat some olive oil and cook the chicken until brown and tender.
- Cut the mushrooms into thin slices and chop the broccoli into small florets.
- Cook the broccoli until just soft in either the microwave or on the stove.
- While the broccoli is cooking, add the mushrooms to the pan with the chicken and pop in a few knobs of butter (or a little extra oil if you don’t want to use butter) and cook till the mushrooms are soft and delicious looking.
- Add the cup of stock to the pan, or a cup of mushroom soup for extra mushroomy, creamy goodness, then add the cooked broccoli.
- Stir in the sour cream over a low heat until the pan comes back to a gentle simmer.
- Add some cracked pepper and a little slat if you like and serve with pasta of your choice!
This family favourite dinner is super easy and quick to make. You can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes, and if the kids cool that’s 30 minutes extra time to do other things… like fold laundry!