It’s a never ending battle. Just when you think you are on top of the whole lunch box caper your darling child comes home from school on the second day and announces that they don’t want that lovingly baked treat in their lunch any more. Maybe it’s ‘too boring’ or ‘too crumbly’ or ‘not as delicious as it used to be’, whatever the reason, it is enough to make my head explode!!
After I’ve cleaned up the mess my exploding head has made, I do what I’ve always done, I throw caution to the wind and I bake something new. Sometimes the new item is a failure, but this time it was a huge success! These cornflake crunch cookies are a winner!
These cornflake crunch cookies are more like ‘clusters’ than cookies, as there is no flour in these sweet little piles of crunchy goodness!
They are egg-free and can easily be made with or without nuts. They are an easy to make gluten-free option too, if you use gluten-free cornflakes.
We are nut-free so we added pepitas, a little quinoa (uncooked), sunflower seeds, and a few extra cranberries. If cranberries are not your thing you can use mixed peel or chopped glace cherries instead, or even chocolate chips. If you love nuts then use peanuts, walnuts or almonds.
Making these is as easy to chucking everything in a bowl and mixing it together.
The mixture doesn’t ‘stick together’ all that much, so you sort of spoon them out into little piles on the tray, they will stick together as you bake them.
You will need to line your baking trays with good quality non-stick paper or mats, as these can stick to the tray a little. Wait till they have cooled a little but peel them off the baking paper while they are still a bit warm and you shouldn’t have too many problems.
- 2 cups lightly crushed cornflakes
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup cranberries (or chopped glace cherries or choc chips)
- 1/2 cups of mixed seeds, other dried fruit and/or chopped nuts
- 2/3 cup condensed milk
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- Line two large baking trays with non-stick mats or baking paper.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the cornflakes, fruit, and nuts/seeds/other additions. Add the condensed milk and stir until everything is well coated.
- Drop tablespoons of mixture onto the trays in small heaps.
- Bake at 160C for 15-20 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Allow to cool a little before removing from the trays while still warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Please note: this recipe uses Australian measurements and cooking temperatures, if you need to convert measurements or temperatures this website is useful.
Easy to make, delicious and totally ‘not boring’, these cornflake crunch cookies have made it onto the ‘school lunch box list’… for now anyway!