The first day of the school holidays and it is freezing cold and pouring with rain. I think it is a sign that we should make something delicious to eat and have a movie marathon!
Family movie night is a school holiday tradition at our place. Usually we make something crazy and sweet, but today we made something, quick, easy and delicious – flavoured popcorn!
Popcorn is such a cheap and healthy snack and it’s super easy to make. These popcorn flavouring are easy to make too, so easy, the kids can do it all themselves!
We make popcorn in the microwave.
When we are making a big amount to feed the hoards we make it in a microwave safe dish with a vented lid (a rice cooker actually), but when we are making flavoured popcorn we make it in individual servings, in paper bags.
It’s really quick and easy.
Paper Bag Popcorn
Add 1/4 cup of popping corn into a paper ag (we use lunch bags), fold the top over a few times, and put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the popping stops. Be careful when you open the bag, the steam is hot!
My ten year old helped me make this video to show you how easy it is.
While the popcorn is still hot and steaming, sprinkle on some flavourings and you have a bag of flavoured popcorn to munch on!
We made three flavours to sprinkle on our popcorn – taco, cinnamon sugar, and garlic and herb.
They are all made with basic pantry ingredients, and are easy to modify to suit your tastes. You can add as much or as little as you like to each bag of popcorn.
- Taco Flavouring
- 1/2 tsp chilli (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mixed herbs – Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, Sage.
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cinnamon Sugar flavouring
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp sugar
- Herb and Garlic Flavouring
- 3 tsp mixed herbs – Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, Sage.
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Place the ingredients for your flavouring of choice in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place 1/4 cup of popcorn into a paper bag. Fold the top over a few times and zap it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until the corn stops popping.
- While the popcorn is still steaming sprinkle a few teaspoons of flavouring into the bag of popcorn, fold the top over again, and give the bag a shake.
- Store any left over flavouring in an airtight container.
Please note: this recipe uses Australian measurements and temperatures, if you need to convert measurements or temperatures you can find our printable cooking conversion chart here.
Do your kids love popcorn? And movies?
What’s your favourite thing to eat while you watch a movie? And what’s your favourite family movie??
Leave me a comment below and let me know!
If you are looking for more movie night treat ideas that the kids can make, try one of these recipes…