I love a good streusel topping on a muffin. And there is no better muffin to top with streusel than an apple muffin!
This apple streusel muffin recipe is a family favourite.
We made these apple and streusel muffins using our homemade muffin mix so they are super quick and easy. That means you have time to fuss around a bit with some delicious streusel topping.
In truth, these muffins are not really that fancy, they just seem that way because of the extra yummy streuselly bits on top!
You can find the instructions for making our homemade muffin mix here.
Apple Streusel Muffin Recipe
- 2 and 3/4 cups of homemade muffin mix
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium apples, grated.
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to approx 180 Celcius and grease or line a muffin tray.
- Add the dry muffin mix plus the cinnamon to a large bowl, make a well in the centre and add the eggs and oil, mixing well.
- Slowly combine the wet with the dry ingredients, adding the milk a little at a time as you go, mix well.
- Grate two medium sized apples, leave the skin on if you like.
- Prepare the streusel mixture by chopping the cold butter finely and adding it to the flour, sugar and cinnamon, Rub or cut the butter into the dry ingredients until a fine crumb forms.
- Fill each muffin case a little less than half with mixture, then add some grated apple and a spoonful of streusel mixture.
- Add some more muffin mixture until the muffin case is 3/4s full and the apple and streusel is covered.
- Top with another spoonful of streusel mixture, be generous, you have plenty.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Please note: this recipe uses Australian measurements and temperatures, if you need to convert measurements or temperatures you can find our printable cooking conversion chart here.