Some people are doing the ‘photo a day’ thing (where you blog a photo every day of the year) but in our house it is ‘zucchini a day’ where the challenge is to eat a zucchini every day until the end of the season!
We picked three remaining monsters today, and there is still heaps more to come! Does anyone want a zucchini?
So far we have grilled them and roasted them; with and without a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. We’ve put then in bolognaise sauce, put them in a cake, and in muffins. I’ve added them to stir fry and to rissoles. Tonight we had veggie burgers with, you guessed it, zucchini in them. Lucky for me that everyone in my family likes zucchinis, especially Zoe!
My favourite way to have them at the moment is in zucchini fritters. T
- 1 zucchini
- 1-2 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of flour
- salt and pepper and herbs to taste
- Vary the amounts listed above depending on how many you want to make. If you add lots of potatoes to make a huge batch just add and extra egg and a sprinkle more of flour to make sure everything sticks together.
- Grate the potato, carrot and zucchini (or any other grate-able veggie you like).
- If you use a food processor for your grating like me then wack an onion in as well, if not you need to dice your onion really finely.
- In a large bowl, add the grated veggies, eggs and flour and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a bunch of chopped herbs – we like dill and chives.
- You are looking for something like pancake mix, add more flour or egg till it looks about right.
- Heat up a smidge of oil in your fry pan and then drop spoonfuls of the mix in and fry them just like little pancakes, until they are brown and crispy on both sides.
Zucchini fritters aresuper simple to make and go well with boring meals like sausages, and as a bonus, the left overs taste really good the next day.