Foil Collage

August 6, 2013

Foil Collage - an easy art activity for kids (and their tired parents)

Foil is one of our favourite art mediums. It’s cheap, easy to find, sparkly, reflective and really cool!

We’ve painted on foil, drawn on foil, finger painted on foil, we’ve even made Christmas decorations out of foil…and this morning, we finally got around to doing foil collage.

Foil Collage

You’ll Need:

Foil Collage - an easy art activity for kids (and their tired parents)

• Glue – we used PVA craft glue with a little water.
  • Container for your glue.
  • Brush – for little hands use a nice big fat brush.
  • Scraps of tissue paper, ribbon, sequins, glitter – anything you have lying around.
  • Foil
  • Tape (optional)

Foil Collage - an easy art activity for kids (and their tired parents)

I taped the sheet of foil to a tray so that it wouldn’t slip around and frustrate my three year old. You could tape it to the table, or a sheet of paper or cardboard, or skip this step for older kids.

Foil Collage - an easy art activity for kids (and their tired parents)

We have been saving tissue paper from gift wrapping for ages and it’s the perfect paper to use for this activity as it is light and fluttery just like the foil. It also looks lovely when the colours overlap and you can even a little shimmery shine from the foil underneath.

Foil Collage - an easy art activity for kids (and their tired parents)

This is a simple art activity that requires little set up and not much clean up either – foil collage is the perfect quick and easy art activity for kids, and their tired parents!

For more easy art ideas check out my
Art for Kids (and parents) Pinterest board.

Declutterbug August 6, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Your son has made lovely use of the space in this piece

katepickle August 6, 2013 at 7:25 pm

he’s usually a ‘glue it all in one big clump’ kinda guy so I was surprised that he covered the whole foil this time… I think he like watching the glue go onto the foil!

Alana August 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm

i love foil!!! makes for a fun morning!

Kelly August 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Oh, it DOES look all sparkly and shiny!

Jode@mummymusingsandmayhem August 7, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I love the photos of your little man at work..always such concentration! A great activity and easy to organise too!

Renèe @ adventuresathomewithmum August 8, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Neat idea, and very pretty!

Debs August 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Lovely. We recently did a tissue paper collage but on canvas and really enjoyed it. Great idea to continue the fun and see the difference by doing one on foil. Thanks for sharing :)

Kate - An Everyday Story August 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm

This is really beautiful. We’ve tried al foil a couple of times but the littles were too heave handed and it soon ripped :( Jack is more steady in his movements now so might be time to give it another try.

Kate August 10, 2013 at 12:42 am

This looks great! I have stacks of little squares of tissue paper left over from another project waiting patiently to be used up – this looks perfect.

Kate@LaughingKidsLearn August 10, 2013 at 10:19 am

What an adorable piece. I love that this is an activity for little fingers. I’ve pinned this one many times.

Jackie@My Little Bookcase August 11, 2013 at 12:51 am

We always love your foil ideas

Chelsea @ Moments A Day August 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

What a fun idea!!! I often struggle to find projects my 2 year old will enjoy and not get too frustrated with but this looks like it would be perfect for him!

Ness @ One Perfect Day August 12, 2013 at 10:47 pm

This is so bright and lovely. Mr 5 is into collage in a big way so he will love this. I can see this happening tomorrow during “witching hour” so I might actually get the dinner made in peace!

Caz August 12, 2013 at 10:50 pm

What a great activity, my girls would love pasting onto a reflective surface like that! I also love your little man’s art apron, did you make it? It’s so adorable!

katepickle August 13, 2013 at 10:44 am

My Mum made the apron – we have a heap of them as they are designed specifically so the kids can get them on and off themselves and are super useful. We used this pattern as our starting point – http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_liberated/2009/01/childs-apron-pattern-and-other-free-tutorials.html

Meredith @ Homegrown Friends August 13, 2013 at 12:31 am

This is such a great idea! We use tin foil for painting and as a prop in our block area, but I never thought to combine it with tissue paper collage. Fantastic! Can’t wait to try!

Cassi August 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I love the idea and the bright and cheery results! I’ll be featuring it on The Crafty Crow!

Rebecca October 4, 2013 at 7:19 am

I like the collage idea – been looking at other crafts and i’ve also seen designs with contact paper – skip the glue all together which i like for easier cleanup!

Angelina February 21, 2014 at 9:27 am

I think this is just great! I also love that children can use a paintbrush to paint the glue on, as this makes it less sticky, especially for little kids! Thanks for the wonderful idea! Pinned and shared!