These easy oatmeal and berry bars have been a Sunday afternoon treat for the past five years.
Yep, it was more than five years ago that I first found this recipe, tried it, love it, and shared it on my blog.
So much has changed in five years – I have a kitchen with walls and a roof, the kids are all bigger and busier and I don’t have a baby any more!
And yet so much stays the same – life is still as crazy wonderful as it ever was, and my kids still gobble down this sweet and gooey slice before it eve has a chance to cool.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 tea spoon baking soda
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (115 gms) butter (cold)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of jam (any flavour you like)
- 1/2 cup of berries (any kind you like)
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius and line a slice tray (30 x 19 cm approx) with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, sugar and oats, and mix well.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes, and using your fingers rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it makes a nice oaty, crumbly mix.
- Press about 2 cups of the mixture firmly into the bottom of the slice tin.
- Cut or mash your berries into small pieces and them to the jam to make it extra fruity, then spread the fruity mix over your base.
- Add the cinnamon to your remaining mixture and lightly press it over the top of the jam.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Don’t over bake – it’s better slightly under done than over done!
- Cool completely before cutting, or eat it when it is warm and gooey!
Don’t be tempted to add too much extra fruit or jam. I know, it’s really tempting, but this slice is very soft and gooey as it is, if you add too much extra fruit you’ll be eating it with a spoon! But do feel free to add some extra cinnamon, we always do and we never regret it!
If you need to cut this slice into neat looking squares or bars, pop it in the fridge for a while first, but if you don’t care how perfect it looks, eat it while it’s warm!
Don’t ask me how long this slice keeps for as it never lasts more than a day in our house!