As soon as the weather turns cold I start craving chicken noodle soup.
With a cold grey sky outside today seemed like the perfect day for some chicken noodle soup for dinner, so I got my veggies started, added some water and grabbed what I thought was some homemade chicken stock out of the freezer and dumped it into the pot. It wasn’t until the ‘stock’ had defrosted into my soup that I realised that it wasn’t chicken stock at all, but apple sauce!
Noooo! That’s a whole pot of chicken noodle soup ruined!
Thankfully I hadn’t added the chicken yet and this chicken noodle soup is super easy, and fairly quick to make… so I started again.
My grandmother told me the best soups are simmer on the stove for days, and I know lots of people who make great soup in a slowcooker/crock pot, and I am sure those long, slow cooked soups are delicious, but I have a to do list a mile long, so I am all about quick and easy dinners, and this chicken noodle soup fits the bill.
The reason this soup is quick and easy is because I kinda cheat a little bit –
- I use homemade chicken stock from my freezer (not apple sauce), or you can use shop bought stock if you like.
- I use leftover roast chicken, shredded into the soup, instead cooking chicken from scratch.
- If I’m really pushed for time I use frozen veggies. You can add whatever veggies your family likes, we like carrot and broccoli.
- And I use rice vermicelli noodles which cook in a couple of minutes, but you could use whatever noodles you like, even zoodles.
You cook the veggies first, along with the garlic and spring onion, which will only take a minute or two if you used frozen veggies. Then add your stock, chicken and lastly noodles and you are done. Delicious, quick and easy chicken noodle soup to warm us up from the inside out!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 spring onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped - or 1 cup frozen carrots
- 1 cup of broccoli florets - or 1 cup frozen broccoli
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Leftover roast chicken shredded
- 200g packet of rice vermicelli noodles
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat and add the garlic, onions and carrots. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the carrots begin to soften.
- If using fresh broccoli pre cook it in the microwave until tender, then add it to the pot. If using frozen broccoli add it straight in with the rest of the veggies.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to the boil.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook for five minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the rice noodles just before you are ready to serve the soup and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until noodles have softened.
Please note: this recipe uses Australian measurements and temperatures, if you need to convert measurements or temperatures you can find our printable cooking conversion chart here.
As well as sharing my easy chicken noodle soup recipe, I also have a tip for you…
Label everything you put in the freezer so you when you make this you don’t add apple sauce by mistake!