Kids will love this simple, budget-friendly, ‘chicken on sticks’ marinated chicken kebab recipe. It’s a great budget-friendly, easy family dinner idea, and of course everything tastes better on a stick, well according to my kids it does!
Everything tastes better when it is on a stick… well it does if you are my kids.
Marinated chicken in fried rice tastes disgusting, but if I thread it on a stick and serve it with pita bread, dip and salad it is suddenly the best dinner ever made!
I will never understand how my kid’s brains work, especially when it comes to food, so I am just going with it – what else can you do?
‘Chicken on Sticks’ or marinated chicken kebabs if you want a more refined name for them, are a delicious, kid-friendly meal that is easy to make ahead and freeze for nights when you need to whip something up really quickly. Now that spring is here and salad is creeping back into our menu we’ll be eating these a lot!
It’s easy to make up a few batches of these chicken kebabs, and pop them already on the stick, with the marinate in a freezer bag in the freezer. Then all you need to do is put them in the fridge in the morning, and they will defrost sit in the marinade during the day making them lovely and tender and ready to cook.
We serve them with a simple salad, flat bread and yoghurt dip.
You can buy or make Tzatziki dip, or whip up this super simple yoghurt and garlic dip.
The kids will love eating the chicken straight from the stick, or making their own wrap with chicken, salad, and dip.
- Chicken thigh fillets 4-6
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- bamboo skewers
- If you are not making the recipe to cook straight away you will need to soak the bamboo skewers. If you are making the recipe to freeze you can skip the soaking.
- Cut the chicken fillets into small chunks, trying to keep the pieces roughly the same size so they will cook evenly.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers, snip off the pointy end of the skewer (you can skip this if not freezing) and put them in a large dish.
- Mix together the soy sauce, garlic (as much or as little as you like), paprika and herbs and pour over the chicken, making sure it is well coated.
- If you are freezing the chicken sticks then carefully pack them into a freezer bag and add any remaining marinade in with them. Double bag them just to be sure the sticks don't poke through and pop them in the freezer.
- If you are cooking them without freezing then allow them to sit in the marinade, in the fridge, for as long as you can.
- To cook, defrost (if needed) and then heat a little olive oil in a pan until hot, added as many chicken sticks as you can fit in a single layer. Cook, turning, till all side are browned then pop them on a tray in a moderate oven for 15 minutes to make sure they are cooked through.
- Serve with flat bread, salad and garlic yoghurt dip.
I’m not sure why the sticks make this meal taste better to my kids, but a few minutes spent threading chicken on sticks is worth it for a hassle free meal time!
What weird things do your kids eat, or not eat?
If you liked this easy family dinner recipe you might like to check out these budget friendly dinner ideas too.