I had wanted a dehydrator for a long time. We eat lots of dried fruit, and sometimes we have a glut of fruit and veggies that would be perfect for drying. But when I finally got my hands on a food dehydrator it took me awhile to get the hang of it!
At first all I did with my dehydrator was make apple chips, which is great in autumn when we have more apples than we know what to do with, but for the rest ofthe year the dehydrator sat in the cupboard collecting dust.
Eventually to set myself a challenge to use my dehydrator at least once a month and it wasn’t long till I had a whole list of fabulous dehydrator recipes.
So you if have a dehydrator and need a little shove to get it out of the cupboard check out our tips and try one of these delicious dehydrator recipes.
Food dehydrator tips
Here are a few tips and tricks that make dehydrating food much easier, and more successful!
- Each dehydrator will be slightly different so temperatures and drying times will vary. The best place to start is with the instruction or recipe book that came with your dehydrator.
- Long and slow works best. Don’t try to speed up the process by increasing the temperature.
- Try to cut food into pieces that are all the same thickness so they dry evenly and at the same rate. That’s not always easy, so keep an eye on the food in the dehydrator and pull out the thinly sliced pieces when they are ready leaving the thicker ones for longer.
- To stop some fruit going brown when you dry it, dip the slices in lemon juice before you put them in the dehydrator.
- Thin slices will become crunchy chips, ticker slices will be more soft and chewy.
- If it’s still sticky or you can see moisture on the food, it’s not done yet.
Fabulous food dehydrator recipes.
Here are some of our favourite dehydrator recipes we’ve used over the years. Give them a try.
Do you have a food dehydrator?
What do you love to make in your dehydrator?
What is your favourite dehydrator recipe?
Share a recipe, tip, or idea in the comments below so I can add to my list of fabulous dehydrator recipes.