‘Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries…’
Having love and compassion for yourself is just as important as having love and compassion for others.
I am much harder on myself than I am on anyone else.
I think being self critical is probably pretty normal, and it can be helpful at times to look critically at your actions and beliefs, but it’s not helpful when you are constantly beating yourself up over small, insignificant things, that you would never judge someone else for.
Finding love and compassion for yourself sometimes feels a bit weird and hard, but really, just remembering a few small things can really help you be kinder to yourself.
Easy Ways to Find Love and Compassion for Yourself
- Purposely make time for yourself, put yourself on the list.
- Remember that ‘No’ is a complete sentence and it’s ok to use it.
- Try not to get sucked in to the comparison game
- Give yourself grace and understanding just like you would for anyone else.
- Be ok with people not liking you. (this is a big one for me!)
- Remember that you don’t have to have it all, you just need to have enough.
- Know that a bad day, or a bad week, doesn’t make you a bad person.
- Find something you love and do it, it doesn’t matter how big or small, or silly, if you love it, do it.
- Make sure your inner voice speaks kindly to yourself.
- Spend time with people who fill you up.
- Fake it till you make it – repeat some positive mantras till you start to believe them
- Practice gratitude – you don’t have to write it down, just notice and be thankful
If you can find love and compassion for yourself, you’ll be much more able to give love and compassion to others. So if you can practice just one or two of these ideas each day, you will benefit and so will everyone else.
What do you do to give yourself love and compassion?
Leave a Comment