These free printable number cards with dots can be used in so many ways for lots of maths learning.
Whether you are playing a maths game, or working on number skills, sometimes it’s useful to have a set of number cards. Dice and spinners are great, but number cards are another fabulous option for fun hands-on maths learning activities.
This set of printable number cards is a quick and easy way to add more number play into your home or classroom.
Grab some loose parts and work on counting and number recognition, or use these number cards in place of dice in lots of different maths games and activities.
Another fun way to work on math skills is with these free color by number printables.
How to Use Number Flash Cards
There are so many fun ways to use these number cards with dots with kids of all ages.
Three year olds who are just learning one to one correspondence (the skill of counting one object as you say one number) will have lots of fun using these cards with loose parts as they arrange and count various objects. While older children can use the number cards to play lots of different maths games, or work on simple addition or subtraction.
You can use the cards with both the number and dots shown, or fold them in half to make a double sided card with the number on one side and the dots on the other.
Then you can use either the number side to work on number recognition, or the dot side to work on subitising ( recognising the number of objects in a small group without the needing to count them).
Here are just a few ways you could use these printable number cards with dots with your kids:
- Use the cards with loose parts and ask your child to count out the correct number of objects to plays under each card. Do the same activity with the cards folded showing just the number or just the dots.
- Choose a card and have your child find that number of items from around the house, or outside. Eg – find 5 leaves.
- Practice numerical order by asking your child to arrange the number cards in ascending or descending order.
- Use the number cards in place of a dice or spinner while playing a maths game. Randomly turn over a card instead of tossing the dice.
- Play a missing number game and have your child figure out what numbers are missing in the line or what number comes next.
- Use the number cards to ‘write’ your own simple equations and combine with manipulatives, or simply count the dots, to work out the answers.
- Choose a card and practice writing the number in words, or with tally marks.
Free Printable Number Cards with Dots
This set of free printable number cards includes the numbers 1-10 and has the number above and the corresponding amount of dots below.
They are designed to be used as a full card with both the number and the dots showing, or fold them in half top make a double sided card with the number on one side and the dots on the other.
There is a full colour version and a black and white version to save on printer ink.
This printable is an A4 sized pdf file, you will need a pdf reader such as adobe acrobat to open it. If you are printing on US ‘letter sized’ paper be sure to select ‘fit’ or ‘shrink to fit’ from your printer options.
Please remember that the printables at picklebums.com are for personal use only, you may not sell, share, or link directly to these files.
Fun Maths Games to Play with these Printable Number Cards
You can use these free printable number cards in place of dice or a spinner in most maths games.
Here are a few of our free printable maths games and activities that would be perfect for these number cards.