Make an Egg Carton Mask

October 22, 2013

Make a super easy egg carton mask

We saw a photo of this super easy egg carton mask in an old book at the library (I wish I had written down the name!) a while ago and we have been dying to make them every since. We had a go on the weekend and they were so much fun to make an wear that we had to share them with you!

All you need is an egg carton, scissors, some paint or markers (we used fluro water colour blocks given to us by Micador), some string and tape or stapes.

The cutting of the masks is a little bit fiddly and needs to be done by an adult with a sharp pair of scissors.

Make a super easy egg carton mask

To begin with, cut off a section of egg carton that contains two egg complete holes, and two half egg holes so that you get a complete spike between the two sets of holes.

Make a super easy egg carton mask

Then trim the edges of the section of egg carton until you have two complete egg holes and the spike. Now you can see the mask taking shape with two eyes and a nose!

Make a super easy egg carton mask

Next comes the really fiddly part – make a hole and carefully cut out the centre of each egg hole to make eye holes.

Make a super easy egg carton mask

You can be as creative as you like cutting eye-brow and ear shapes into the sides of the pieces of egg cartons.

Make a super easy egg carton mask

Now it is time to decorate!

Make a super easy egg carton mask

We painted ours inside and out but you could use markers or even collage. Adding frilly paper eyebrows would be fun!

Make a super easy egg carton mask

Once the paint is dry simple tape or staple a length of string to each side, tie them on and you are ready to go!

Make a super easy egg carton mask

Is it just me or do these masks make us look a little creepy?? Cool… but creepy!

Jackie@My Little Bookcase October 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Oh, not creepy at all. Just cute and bird-like!

I think these masks would be great for re-enacting Phoebe’s Fabulous Feathers by Rod Clement

katepickle October 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I keep thinking how cool they would be as bird masks with feathers! The teacher in me is seeing a bird dance or song for an end of year concert! LOL

Memery March 28, 2014 at 4:09 am

Thank you so much, I just got what I need for my year-end concert, my class will perform an item “bird expressions” and this will be perfect for the masks I have been looking for!

Kate - An Everyday Story October 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Oh my goodness they are just toooooo cute. Definitely not creepy. Really really cool :)

Rachel | Racheous October 22, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I’m totally agreeing with creepy – but in the best way! Awesome idea and funny photos :)

katepickle October 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Yes! Creepy in a cool way… but still creepy! LOL

Penny October 22, 2013 at 8:02 pm

This is sooo awesome Kate! I want to make an owl mask. Perhap I could add some feathers!

katepickle October 23, 2013 at 2:54 pm

ooh they would make great owl masks! I bet if my girls had been home that is what they would have made as they are nuts about owls!

Kate October 22, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Great masks! Love the bright colours

Elise @ Creative Play Central October 22, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Now whenever I look at an egg carton I am going to visualise your awesome masks! Love the colours and how they turned out. Sharing this now.

Lauren October 23, 2013 at 12:13 am

How fun is this?! We are totally making these once we finish our eggs. ;)

katepickle October 23, 2013 at 2:58 pm

We don’t buy eggs (we have 14 laying hens) so I had to go ask a friend if she had any egg cartons so we could make these! LOL

Lucy @ Bake Play Smile October 23, 2013 at 8:38 am

How awesome are these! Love them! And you guys definitely don’t look creepy… Very cute!!! Xx

Meredith @ Homegrown Friends October 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

Oh I love these so much!! And yes a little creepy but in a fun way :-). I’ve shared and pinned! As always thanks for the inspiration !!

katepickle October 23, 2013 at 3:00 pm

They really are kinda creepy…. fun creepy… but still creepy! LOL

jackie October 23, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Wow! They’re awesome Kate. And yeah, a little creepy. lol

katepickle October 24, 2013 at 9:39 am

So glad I am not the only one who can appreciate some awesome creepiness! LOL

Debs October 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm

bahaha, too funny. Yes, a little creepy but still cute and hilarious all in one. We’ve made these as bird masks with lots of coloured feathers before with the preps and I think the feathers take the attention away from the beady little eye holes, lol. Those tempera paints turned out awesomely! Really bright and vibrant at the end even on brownish cardboard.

Debsch @ Cloth Books for Baby October 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

Ahhhh! LOVE IT! Simple, fun, colourful, and cheap! When do you think my one-year-old will be old enough to hold a paint brush and not eat the paint?!?

Danya Banya October 26, 2013 at 12:47 pm

The creepiness is because it makes all your eyes look closer together than what they actually are. But creepy is good! Especially when it’s combined with cute! It’s fun to dress up a bit cute & creepy sometimes. :)

Kate October 28, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I love this idea and that is uses egg cartons, which most people have at home. You made me laugh when you said they were a little creepy. I guess it suits a Halloween theme. LOL

Jode@mummymusingsandmayhem October 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

Love these and are doing them tomorrow with my daycare kids! Those pics with your little man and all his concentration are just gorgeous! Have to say though that you really make the mask in your photo…thanks for sharing Kate x

mojca March 26, 2014 at 7:41 am

Lovely! What sort of paint did you use? Thank you for sharing!
Mojca

Mojca March 31, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Sorry again, which sort of colours did you use please? I see its water paints but is that some fluorescent version?

katepickle April 1, 2014 at 12:06 am

So sorry I missed your first comment!
As I said in the post they are fluro water colour blocks made by Micador. Here is a link to the product on the Micador web page, hope that helps

Mojca April 1, 2014 at 3:59 am

Thank you very much. Looks like I missed it in the post.