Have you decorated for the holidays yet?
At The Pickle Farm, we don’t break out the Christmas decorations or put up the Christmas tree till the first weekend in December. So we’ve still got a week or so to figure out how we are going to tackle the problem of Christmas tree Vs climbing chaos-making toddler. Anyone got any ideas?
Since it is pouring with rain here today, it seems like the perfect day get our craft on and make some new Christmas decorations too. Here are ten terrific Christmas decorations to make. Some of them are a little tricky, but most of them are easy enough for small hands to help with.
1. Toilet Roll Stars: We have a huge box of toilet rolls that I was saving to plant seeds in, but sadly our veggie garden is a lot behind schedule this year, so this simple idea from Muffin Tin Mom seems like a great way to use them up.
2. German Paper Star: I didn’t make the one in the photo above, I bought it from Ikea and liked it so much I looked up how to make them. These are tricky even for adults, but once you get the hang of them you can make loads of them for the tree.
3. Stick Stars: I like stars…. and these ones from sticks are simple and effective.
4. Sewn Paper Ornaments: Elsie Marley shares simple patterns to make cute decorations using scraps of paper sewn up the middle. This would be a great project for my beginning sewers.
5. Modern Paper Ornaments: These simple hanging ornaments are easy enough for everyone to help make. You could rule lines on the paper fist for beginning cutters to practice following and then it’s just a matter of arranging them and popping in a staple or two!
6. Circle Streamers: Another sewn paper decoration! Martha calls these New Year’s decorations but I think they’d be just as lovely for Christmas.
7. Pine Cone Ornaments: A family trip to collect pine cones would lots of fun and these ornaments are simple and beautiful.
8. Twiggy Christmas Trees: I love these. A little bit more involved to make since you need a drill, but so cool!
9. Button Trees: Using pipe cleaners to thread buttons onto makes this a really kid friendly craft.
Are you in the mood to make some decorations?
Got any ideas, crafts or links to share?