I watch all the fancy cake decorating videos on facebook and I am so impressed.
They make it look so easy, but it’s not. Well not for me. I do not have any cake decorating skills. I can’t even making a decent icing (frosting) that holds it shape well enough to be piped onto anything.
Cake decorating is not my thing, unless there is a way to cheat and make your cakes look cool with minimum skill?
These butterfly cupcakes are exactly that – they look cool, but they are super easy to make!
There really is minimum skill required for maximum results with these cupcakes.
These butterfly cupcakes are so easy to make even I can’t make a disaster of it. Even the kids can make them, and that is exactly what I did, I handed this job over to the kids!
We used our basic vanilla cupcake recipe and our simple butter cream icing (frosting) recipe. And we coloured the icing blue to look like the sky.
The vanilla cupcakes are super simple to make, but you could take the cheating to the next level and buy a packet cake mix, or just buy iced cupcakes from the shops!
To decorate the cakes you’ll need a big packet of marshmallows (we used the ones that come in several flavours and colours) and some gummy worms or lolly snakes. An optional extra is to use an edible food pen to draw faces onto the gummy worms and add details to the butterfly’s wings.
To assemble the butterfly cupcakes simply cut the marshmallows and gummy worms in half, draw details if desired, them arrange them on the top of the cakes. A gummy worm for the butterfly’s body and four pieces of marshmallow for the wings!
- Cupcakes (use whatever recipe you like)
- Blue buttercream icing (frosting)
- Gummy worms or similar
- Food writer markers (optional)
- Bake (or buy) your cupcakes, allow them to cool completely and ice them with a thick layer of blue buttercream icing.
- Cut the gummy worms in half with a clean pair of scissors and draw on a face if desired.
- Cut the marshmellows in half so you have two thinner round marshmallows.
- Add decorations to the unsticky side of the cut marshmallows with the markers if desired.
- Arrange the gummy worms on the cakes to make the butterfly's body, and use 4 cut marshmallows to make the wings.
Next time you need to decorate cupcakes for a part of event, get the kids to make some of these quick and easy butterfly cupcakes!