Keeping growing kids happily fed can be a full time job! Making sure your kids have access to a range of healthy-ish snacks isn’t always ways easy, but these 75 snack ideas for kids will definitely help!
“What can I eat?”
I have four kids, so I hear those two phrases a LOT.
If you’ve got multiple kids you know what it’s like. Sometimes you’ve just sat down after rustling up a snack for one kid, when the next one comes along and wants to be fed!
This is especially true when the kids are home from school, during the summer holidays I sometimes I feel like I spend my whole day feeding kids!
Even when the kids are at school, coming up with a healthy snack for their lunch boxes, that is quick and easy to eat, and that your kids actually like, is another parenting challenge!
One way I tackle the challenge of having to come up with dinner ideas is to make master list of dinners my family likes, and to tackle the kids snack challenge I’m doing the same thing. I’m writing a big list of all the snack ideas for kids I can think of.
With this list of kid’s snacks I can easily stock up the pantry and fridge with easy grab and go options that the kids can get without any input from me at all! And when I’m making the shopping list or have time to bake I’ve got an handy list of ideas so I’m never put on the spot by ‘starving’ children ever again!
If you need some kids lunch ideas too, especially if your kids don’t like sandwiches, try these 50+ non-sandwich lunch ideas for kids.
Easy Snack Ideas for Kids.
The kids snack ideas on this list aim to be mostly ‘healthy’ but there are some ‘treats’ on the list too. Some of the ideas are super quick and easy to prepare, and some of them require some time and effort, but none of them are ridiculously time consuming or difficult.
Many of the ideas on the list can be made or accessed by kids with little or no adult input. If you set up a ‘snack stash’ with a range of options your kids can choose from and access on their own, you might find that no ever needs to ask you for a snack again!
Fruit is the most popular snack around here! Pick easy to eat fruit that your kids actually like. Pre-cut or prepare it to make it even easier to grab and go.
Here are some fun fruity recipes and ideas:
- Oven Baked Apple Chips
- Fruit Leather
- Pineapple and Raspberry Frozen Fruit Whip
- Fruit and Yoghurt Cones – Mumlyfe.
Veggie sticks with dip is an awesome easy snack. Carrots, cucumber, celery, capsicum all cut and keep well in the fridge. And things like cherry tomatoes, snow peas and green beans don’t even need to be cut.
Here are some great homemade dip recipes for your veggies:
Crackers and Chips
There are lots of great store bought cracker and chip options (my kids love rice and quinoa cakes and plain rice crackers) that make great healthy snacks, or you can make your own. You can eat them plain or add some dip, or cheese, or a spread to sneak in some extra nutrients.
Here are some of our favourite homemade cracker and chip recipes and ideas:
Popping corn is inexpensive, and really easy to make. You can make popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave with no added oil at all! Please be aware that popcorn is a choking hazard for young children.
Here are some fun popcorn flavours and recipes:
What this video and learn how we make microwave popcorn in a paper bag:
Smoothies are a great portable snack (or breakfast) which makes them a great option when you are dashing form one activity to the next with your kids. Get a reusable tumbler with lid and straw (affiliate link – Aussies check out Kmart for a similar option) and you can take your smoothie snack anywhere.
Here are a few kid-friendly smoothie recipes to try:
- Kiwi Kapow Smoothie – Childhood101.
- Apple Pie Smoothie – In the Kids Kitchen
- Strawberry and Greek Yoghurt Smoothie – Eats Amazing.
- Coco Berry Smoothie – My Poppet Living.
Plain greek yoghurt can be used for so many easy snacks. Put it in a smoothie, make it into dip, add some frozen fruit and a handful of cereal and call it a ‘parfait’.
Here are some of our favourite yoghurt recipes and ideas.
- Sweet yoghurt dip – perfect to have with fruit
- Frozen Yogurt Bites – Best Ideas for Kids.
- Homemade Granola – sprinkle it on your yoghurt.
- Yogurt and Granola Popsicles – Mama Papa Bubba.
- Blackberry Yoghurt Parfait – Eats Amazing.
- Apple Pie Parfait– I Heart Crafty things.
- Yoghurt and Berry Oat Cups – Mumlyfe.
- Fruit and Yoghurt Popsicles – My Poppet Living.
- Cloud Jellies – Kidgredients.
Snack Balls and Bites
My kids LOVE snack balls. Because they are no-bake they don’t take a long time to make, and you can enlist the kids to help roll them! Most snack ball recipes are sweetener with alternative to refined sugar making them a healthier sweet treat option.
Here are some great snack ball recipes:
- Lemon Coconut Bliss Balls – Kidgredients.
- Apple Pie Bliss Bites – Eats Amazing.
- Choc Orange Energy Balls – Childhood101
- Apricot and Coconut Balls – Childhood101
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls – Best Ideas for Kids.
- Strawberry Bliss Balls – Mumlyfe.
- Chocolate Crackle Bliss Balls – Mumlyfe.
- Find even more snack ball recipes here.
My youngest child could live off muesli bars alone, and while I’m not sure they would be very healthy, they do make a good snack. If you are buying them check the label and make sure you are ok with the ingredients. If you have a little time muesli bars and other snack bars are easy to make and you can choose exactly what goes in them.
Here are some of our favourite snack bar recipes:
- No Bake Muesli Bars – easy to make in a variety of flavours
- Chocolate and Coconut Bars – sweetened with honey
- Popcorn bars – a nice change from muesli bars!
- Apple and Oat Bars
- Healthier Ricebubble Bars – Bake Play Smile.
Muffins – Sweet and Savory.
Muffins are always a hit with the kids! They are easy to make at home, and you can add kinds of optional extras to up the nutrition value. Sweet muffins might be an occasional treat snack, but savoury muffins are also a great healthy snack option.
Here are a few of our favourite sweet muffin recipes:
- Cinnamon Spice Sweet Potato Muffins
- Fruit and Veggie Muffins
- Honey and Banana Muffins
- Avocado Banana Muffins – Kidgredients.
- ABCD Muffins – Bake Play Smile
Ok so cookies are not all that healthy (usually), but they are delicious, they are easy to make, they are portable, and they make a great treat snack option!
Here are some of the best quick and easy cookie recipes.
- Easy Freezable Cookie Dough – frozen cookie dough for easy cookie baking.
- Banana Choc Chip Cookies
- Cornflake Cookies
- Cinnamon Cookies
- Easy Oat Cookies – quick and easy
- Fruity Oat Cookies – these take a bit longer, but are worth the effort!
- Milo Biscuits – Bake Play Smile.
- Cornflake crunch cookies – not really a cookie, but really good.
- Find even more cooke recipes here.
Pancakes are a super easy to make homemade treat and it’s easy to use alternate sweetening options if you are looking to reduce refined sugar. They also freeze really well, so make a big batch and put the leftovers in the freezer, they’ll defrost in the kid’s lunch box, or warm them up in the microwave.
More Snack Ideas
Here are some more great kids snack ideas that don’t fit neatly into any of the categories above, but they are too delicious to miss!
- Cinnamon and Raisin Flat Breads – you can make these sweet flat breads with honey or other sweeteners and they are really really good eaten warm.
- Mini Pizza Quiche – these little crustless quiches freeze well and taste great.
- Pizza Twists – keep some homemade pizza dough in the freezer so you can make these pizza twists for a hot snack
- Easy Pinwheels – try one of these three flavours of pastry pinwheels.
- Quick and Easy Flat Bread – this no yeast flat bred is perfect with dips or spreads.
- Roast Pumpkin Seeds – Laughing Kids Learn shows you how to make roasted pumpkin seeds for a crunchy snack.